Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Container Tip?

Blog Entries

Container Tip?

I had just read through the wonderful thread Those Wonderful Empty Tissue Boxes . It gave so many of us wonderful ideas, with others coming up with their uses. It had me wishing there was more threads like this that would help all of us.

I always have these empty large tin coffee cans, because me and my husband go through a lot of coffee. I use some of the plastic ones with the built in handles to fill with water for my dogs to have extra water outside, because they have their water bowls inside.

Anyone have good sewing/quilting/crafting/etc. uses for these cans, and what other tips of things we can all use that we have around the house??

I look forward to all of your ideas/tips. Pictures are also nice.

Blog Entries
    Quilters are great at finding ways to re-purpose everyday items-I am looking forward to seeing the responses,too!

At our office we often have catered lunches and I take home the black rectangular containers with clear lids. They're about the size of a rectangular cake pan and stack really nicely on a bookshelf. Perfect for storing strips by color.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I repurpose the square tissue boxes and have one on my sewing table for threads and snips.

I repurpose Altoids container for old needles.

When we have a sew-in we often use coffee filters for our threads and snips so it easier at cleanup time.

Have also used NEW pizza boxes for sorting strips ... and some carefully washed take out containgers.

Looking fwd to hearing more.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Senior Member Rosie the "Ripper"'s Avatar
    Hello to all of you who get a thrill out of re-purposing items. I sure do. It makes me feel like I just saved myself a ton of $$$$!

Of course we all use ziplock bags. I like to use the jumbo ones for sets of fabrics that go together with their matching thread and pattern.

Those pop up laundry baskets are good for sorting scraps as you toss them - lights in one and darks in another. I like that they are not heavy to move around.

Empty medicine bottles are good for dull machine needles AND the needles are good to use as nails to hang scissors, rotary cutters etc. when not in use.

We eat a lot of the pre washed spinach that Sam's sells in plastic containers with lids. I have an old set of dresser drawers where I keep my threads. These containers are a perfect fit. I can get eight tubs side by side in each drawer and have each one hold a different color. Sure saves time when looking for a certain color. I even have individual ones for the variegated colors, metallic threads, transparent threads, embroidery threads, etc.

Stacked hanging shoe organizers are great too along with those blue baby wipes containers that fit into each compartment perfectly and hold millions of different things. I put a sticky label on the outside so I know what is in each. You can hang several next to each other and solve many storing problems in a small amount of space.

My husband smokes cigars (outside only) and the empty boxes stack great and hold pieces of blocks I am working on along with pattern, thread, etc. and are great for grabbing quickly and taking along on a short trip when my husband drives and wants company.

Have more but can't think right now.

Oh yes - I have a coffee can in my laundry room for all coins and bills left in pockets before washing - my money stash for fabrics!
    Rosie the "ripper"

My husband had smoked cigars long ago that came in the individual plastic tubes with lids. Those are great for storing the steel crochet hooks. Love this thread.
    Debra

Blog Entries
    I use the Huggie wet wipes to store all my sewing machine stuff. Cutters, pins etc. I use medicine bottles for my bobbins.

Chocolate!! Fill that empty coffee can with chocolate and keep it close to your sewing machine. Quick cure for any frustrating moments (and you know there will be some).

The small jelly jars are just perfect to hold the various sizes of nails, screws and bolts on the shelves in the work shop. The large plastic 2 or 3 lb coffee canisters are perfect as water containers for acrylic painting, just put a layer of window screening in the bottom to keep the water separate from the sediment. Plastic shoe boxes with tight fitting lids make excellent storage units for the kitchen holding everything from sugar, flour to different pastas, beans, etc. They sit atop each other so neatly and they are so convenient to dip a measuring cup into.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 02-21-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have also used the jumbo baggies to put the fabric and threads etc. in for a particular project. I like the coffee can idea for change. Round cheap curtain rods will work well to put ribbon spools over, and fabric can be hung over them too. Hanging fabric on hangers and put on rods.

When your draperies come back from the dry cleaners they are on the nicest large round hangers that are perfect for your neck scarves.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 02-21-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    My mother the other day was wanting to find someone who sells Avon, because they end up with lots of those boxes with lids on them, and she said they are good for storing things in. They would work well for fabric and other sewing things too.

I have a sewing organizer over mine that I purchased at clotilde

I have several glass jars that Adams peanut butter comes in with the lids and need to know something to use those for. I have a lot in the garage for nuts and bolts and nails, etc. Can't throw these things away as they are so good for stuff.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I got a set of 3 plastic drawer dividers (about 3"x10"x2" deep) at Dollar Tree for $1. I use them to hold my rotary cutter, scissors, small rulers, etc, on my sewing table. Easy to see what's in them & easy access. :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    what I don't use, I offer on FREECYCLE.org. LOTS of teachers, scout leaders, and construction/carpenters use up old butter tubs, coffee cans/tins, etc..I try to REuse as much as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    what I don't use, I offer on FREECYCLE.org. LOTS of teachers, scout leaders, and construction/carpenters use up old butter tubs, coffee cans/tins, etc..I try to REuse as much as possible!
    Jacquie, You have made a very important point. Our teachers today must buy most anything they want to use in their classrooms out of their own pocket, and they don't make that much! They all can use containers, craft supplies, so many things. Just ask around, almost everyone knows a teacher.
    Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out.
    Renee

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gzuslivz View Post
    Jacquie, You have made a very important point. Our teachers today must buy most anything they want to use in their classrooms out of their own pocket, and they don't make that much! They all can use containers, craft supplies, so many things. Just ask around, almost everyone knows a teacher.
    This is SO true..especially in the lower grades...and with all the states wanting kids to start school at 3 years old now, that means even MORE teachers needing things...
    They really love empty thread spools! And diaper wipe boxes are worth their weight in GOLD..ehhehe
    I watch our local FC daily and if I don't see anyone asking, then I go ahead an offer! I always get lots of responses!
    Even for toilet paper rolls, etc. I waste nothing! AND our town does not have recycling..so..we just repurpose as much as possible!

I wash them out good and the put plastic bag in and put cookies in the bag. Then put in freezer. Cooks don't get mushed in freezer this why. Also fudge can be done this way.

I use coffee filters as stabilizer when machine sewing appliques.

Baby food containers are good for many little things...they are rectangular boxes with lids.

I use the decorative boxes (like you see at Joanns or Michaels, Tuesday Morning, etc.) to store my WIPs and UFOs.

I also use paper tape to label them...I get paper tape in any drug store department that sells bandaids. It never leaves a sticky residue and comes off easily. I have it on my wood furniture too. I label the drawers that hold fabric, supplies, etc.

I love this thread too! Here are a few of my ideas.

Baby food jars or other small containers with metal lids. I have a piece of wood that is suspended between two small book shelves. I take the lid off of the jar, and nail it to the board so that when I put the board up, the lids are on the bottom. I fill the jars with whatever (buttons, beads, etc) and then screw the jar onto the lid. It keeps the jars off of a surface and it looks interesting.

I use the nice coffee cans with the plastic lids to keep my knitting yarns in. I cut a cross in the lid, run the yarn through the cross and the yarn ball just bounces around in the can evenly feeding my project.

I have a shower caddy with handles - I got it at the dollar store. I leave this on my cutting table. I keep my cutter, small scissors, my marking chalks etc. in it. All in one place, easily accessed, neat and out of the way.

I use the space saver bags (small) or zip loc kinds of bags to keep projects together, neat and out of the way. I put a 3x5 inside the bag with the name of the project so that is visible when I need to see waht project is in the bag.

I use the space saver bags to keep pieces of batting neatly sorted. I can compress the bags and save on space. I keep all the different types of like batting together (and I use the 3x5 idea again).

Thank you all for sharing your ideas!!!
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Blog Entries
    Okay, not a container but a repurposed item. I use the multi-skirt hangers to hang my quilting rulers on. My sewing room is small and lacks wall space and flat surfaces for storing things. It has a walk in closet so I just hang the skirt hangers with the rulers on it on the clothes hanging rod right at the door so it is easy access. I have several of them and I am able to hang even my small 2 1/2" and 4" rulers on them. I was constantly "misplacing" the smaller sizes and replacing them. Now I know exactly where they are!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I use the large coffee cans, the one with the handle, to refill my bird feeder. One scoopful fills the feeder up.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

I use the large coffee cans, the one with the handle, to refill my bird feeder. One scoopful fills the feeder up.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Blog Entries

recylcing things for sewing

Use the letter opener with a long plastic pointed hook and small razor blade at the closed end to "snip" threads. Often available free of charge as advertising, you can probably replace the business card section with a photo of your choice.

Line the inside of small metal mint tin with a cut down section of an outdated magnetic calendar. This becomes a neat storage area for misc. needles which do not fall out if the tin hits the floor by accident.

Use each cylindrical plastic cheese shaker with two section plastic screw on lid for misc. clips, safety pins etc. You can add a small packet of drying agent to each bottle, as well. You usually find one or more of these little packages in purses at point of sale. When returning clips or pins the the container, use the larger open semi-circle portion of the lid to drop in the items. You will love this tip....

Use a 4 by 6 inch fishing tackle box to store several filled bobbins for your basic colors. Separate each color in the individual little compartments. If you just want a variety of colors for sewing, your bobbins can be something you've recycled.

If you want to use the bobbins for your machine, select the correct bobbin for your machine. For quick jobs you could use two bobbins (top and bottom) to complete your task. No need to haul a large amount of spools along when you leave your workstation. The additional advantage is having bobbins wound so you can quickly begin a larger project by just popping a spool of thread on the top of your machine.

Colors I use most often are: white, natural, tan, darker brown, navy, silver gray, light gray, medium gray, dark gray and black. I usually have a larger cone of the same to use at the machine. Purchases are simplified. :-)
    Last edited by kay carlson; 02-21-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: clarify idea

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast