Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Container Tip?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
    I repurpose the square tissue boxes and have one on my sewing table for threads and snips.

I repurpose Altoids container for old needles.

When we have a sew-in we often use coffee filters for our threads and snips so it easier at cleanup time.

Have also used NEW pizza boxes for sorting strips ... and some carefully washed take out containgers.

Looking fwd to hearing more.

ali
    I use the new pizza boxes for storing my new quilt blocks (I make the blocks and then assemble)! Ediie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    magnetic strips are great for holding pins
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours!

old wooden letter rack purchased from op shop for rulers
    office room divider/fabric covered free standing display stand from freecycle for design wall.
    spice jars for small buttons etc
    pretty tins for storing sewing notions
    free standing towel rack (ebay) to display quilts or to put strips on for current quilt project
    the plastic chocolate powder shaker container that comes with some flavoured coffees for broken needles
    coffee cup 'tree' for cutters, scissors
    plastic lazy susan and old cutting board cut (and glued on) to fit - a great for triming blocks
    painter's tape

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltaddict View Post
    Chocolate!! Fill that empty coffee can with chocolate and keep it close to your sewing machine. Quick cure for any frustrating moments (and you know there will be some).
    The best tip yet!

dd
    Most recently I used the plastic zipper bag I got sheets in for Christmas to hold my pineapple quilt squares. They fit perfectly. I figure when it's full, I should have just about enough.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

If/when you don't have a use for containers, cans, etc. donate to Teacher's Depot in your area, if you have one, or to a pre-school. They us all kinds of things for crafting with students. Toilet tissue & paper towel rolls is another popular item for these organizations.

I use the ziploc bags when I cut out quilts. I label my pieces and put them in the small bags and put the entire project in either a large ziploc bag or a pizza box. Needless to say I have several projects waiting for me to start!!

I use the skirt hangers to hang my small quilts on that are ready to be quilted!

I find that the Crystal Light drink mix envelopes (the ones that make 2 qts) are also great for crochet hooks. Just peel off the label.

Oops! not the envelopes but the plastic containers they come in.

The art teacher at my school used the meat trays for giving out paint to students in small amounts and providing a spot to mix colors. The thin flat magnets that accumulate over time can also be used in an art class.
    I taught Home Economics and used coolwhip type and other plastic containers in class instead of buying storage containers-recycling in use. We also made tin can ice cream with 1 lb and 3 lb coffee cans. the ingredients went inside the small can, inside the large can, filled the area between wtih ice and salt, and rolled the cans until we had ice cream. Kids loved it. Easy to repeat at home.

I agree. I get a lot of very good tips from this board.

Blog Entries
    I use the plastic salad containers to store pkgs of bias tape, zippers, velcro, webbing, cording, plastic snack bags with like colored buttons, glue pkgs., beads in snack pkgs., serger thread cones, patterns, fat quarters, sewing projects and scraps, etc. These containers stack on top of each other and also fit side by side in dresser drawers that have been repurposed from when the children were young.
    Jinnie

I have a lot of acrylic templates, all shapes & sizes; I store them in labeled file folders in a small plastic file box.

Space is tight in my apt. I use an over the door hanger to hold a canvas 4 pocket letter sorter for my rulers. Each pocket has a different type and I always have them handy. I needed a small table for my apt and couldn't find anything little enough. I found a glass topped metal frame coffee table & had pvc pipe cut to length and stuck the legs in the pipe to bring the table up to the height I needed. I made a cloth cover and got a pretty table to eat at and it sits right by my sewing machine so it doubles for projects. When I need a light table - off comes the cover and I put a small light under the glass and trace away. All this from a $5 garage sale find!
    Am totally enjoying reading this post.

Blog Entries
    Paper towel rolls when slit long ways will wrap around a plastic clothes hanger and keep from getting a fold line in slacks and quilt tops. I also use old sewing machine needles to hang pictures and empty pill bottles to hold dull or bent needles and pins. I prefer to use the mini M&M containers when I find them as they are easier to open. I tie a piece of ribbon, yarn or small strip of fabric to a pair of scissors when they get dull - then I know which ones to avoid and which ones to grab when there is a scissor sharpening event. The bags that curtains,come in are great for storing WIPs- love the ones with zippers. I repurpose shirt cardboard in my papercrafting. I use the tubes from diet drink mix for quilting safety pins and cat treats. I save the biggest plastic snack jars for yarn. I reuse all glass bottles. The pretty ones hold buttons, the bigger ones stay in the kitchen for leftover sauce or hot soup. This is a great thread!

Plastic coffee cans hold bird seed outside for ease in filling feeders...dry and safe from moochers. Plastic dogfood containers with colored lids let you color co-ordinate all sorts of items. Binders with sheet protectors will hold patterns you have done with scraps of the item so you will have a journal of all your work, and a piece to easily find if something needs a small repair. You can also take the sheet protector to the store to match other colors to the project.

One that I've done for years and haven't seen posted on this list...Empty Velveeta cheese boxes (the bottom box, made of heavy cardboard) make great drawer dividers in any room of the house. I never throw one away and they seem to eventually get used up.
    Thimble and Thread

I seen in a magazine where they took empty glass jars, that spaghetti sauce or jelly came in painted them white with spray paint then made designs on them with puff paint. You could use them for storage, or even vases. They were wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    awesome..I use these for strips, borders and such after ironing them!
    I use mine to hang my "flimsies" on (which is a finished top). I can stagger 3-4 at a time. I also use pants hangers for quilt tops also.

I plan on making a "skirt with pockets" to go around my coffee cans (like the garden tools skirt that goes around a bucket) to use on my various tables in the sewing room

Quote Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
    I had just read through the wonderful thread Those Wonderful Empty Tissue Boxes . It gave so many of us wonderful ideas, with others coming up with their uses. It had me wishing there was more threads like this that would help all of us.

I always have these empty large tin coffee cans, because me and my husband go through a lot of coffee. I use some of the plastic ones with the built in handles to fill with water for my dogs to have extra water outside, because they have their water bowls inside.

Anyone have good sewing/quilting/crafting/etc. uses for these cans, and what other tips of things we can all use that we have around the house??

I look forward to all of your ideas/tips. Pictures are also nice.

I have seen some neat tool caddies made from the metal coffee cans. But I've got too much sitting around as it is. Not sure I need more.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
    My husband had smoked cigars long ago that came in the individual plastic tubes with lids. Those are great for storing the steel crochet hooks. Love this thread.
    the metal cigar tubes are just right to hold dimes---------which my hubby used to fill up for our DD's spending stash when she was a kiddo.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    I use the Huggie wet wipes to store all my sewing machine stuff. Cutters, pins etc. I use medicine bottles for my bobbins.
    hey, good idea on the bobbins! I'll have to save my next empty!

Thanks
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by judys View Post
    I found a wooden TV tray with folding legs and covered it with several layers of batting, a layer of the kind of batting for potholders and such, and a fabric cover with elastic all around. I can set it up just to the right of my chair when sewing to do my seam pressing and fold it up and put it out of the way when I'm done. Just noticed I need a new cover as I haven't been too careful with my applique iron-on....ooops!
    Judys, I do the same thing. Until I got my new sewing table, I had my ironing table on the right and my cutting board table on the left. Worked great. Now my new sewing table is large enough I put an old cutting mat to the left of my sewing machine cutout and now I can cut on my table.

Quote Originally Posted by ncredbird View Post
    A few years ago we left the house for the holidays (about 5 weeks) and came home to a big mess in the kitchen. Seems some little mouse monster had found his way into the warm kitchen and run a muck in the pantry chewing holes in every bag and box that I had on the shelves. DH and I had been purchasing PB at Sam's Club for years and saving the large empty jars after removing the labels. After throwing out everything in the pantry and purchasing replacements I transferred contents of bags and boxes into the empty jars. No floppy bags to deal with, they are mouse proof (although this little monster is long gone now), I can see what I need clearly, and they stack. When our granddaughter visited last summer she opened the pantry closet, laughed, and exclaimed, "You two eat entirely too much peanut butter!"
    We are still enjoying our peanut butter and have a large box of empty jars in the storage closet for emergencies. Ann in TN
    Stuff mousies love are all stored in big plastic bins in my pantry!
    U N T I E

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast