Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Container Tip? >

Container Tip?

Container Tip?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:00 AM

You can hang pictures on the walls with those broken sewing machine needles. Put them in at a sharp angle and they hold nice sized pictures on the wall.

Another tip I use in my sewing room is (and I'm sure everyone knows this one) is to buy those plastic on one side and flannel on the other side table clothes at a reduced rate after the holidays) and hang in on the wall flannel side out, for my design wall. Works great!

One more, is to use a silverware plastic divider, the ones that hold the spoons, knives, forks, etc. and place it in my sewing cabinet drawer. Everything has a place. One of my cabinets wasn't big enough for it, so I cut it down to fit. Worked wonderful.

Love this post, by the way. Getting some great ideas from here. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:10 AM

cutting tops of old dish soap bottles and use for throw away funnels---could keep one in trunk of car to use for adding oil or antifreeze. Bottoms of the bottles can be used to make cute litle purse for toddlers. punch holes around top edge and crochet around til 3-4 inches. add drawstring to complete. I saw these in craft book once. showed them with a small stuffed doll inside. he purse top would fold down over bottle bottom like a bassinet skirt, that way little girl could play with the doll while Mom is shopping or in waiting rooms,etc and still be easy to carry
Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
I had DH cut a scrap of wood for me. He cut it about 10"x30". I covered it with batting and fabric....duct taped the back. I laid it on the sewing table to the right of the machine. I don't have to get up to go to the ironing board for small projects and it's great for hauling to sewing guild!
I found a wooden TV tray with folding legs and covered it with several layers of batting, a layer of the kind of batting for potholders and such, and a fabric cover with elastic all around. I can set it up just to the right of my chair when sewing to do my seam pressing and fold it up and put it out of the way when I'm done. Just noticed I need a new cover as I haven't been too careful with my applique iron-on....ooops!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by roseirish48 View Post
cutting tops of old dish soap bottles and use for throw away funnels---could keep one in trunk of car to use for adding oil or antifreeze. Bottoms of the bottles can be used to make cute litle purse for toddlers. punch holes around top edge and crochet around til 3-4 inches. add drawstring to complete. I saw these in craft book once. showed them with a small stuffed doll inside. he purse top would fold down over bottle bottom like a bassinet skirt, that way little girl could play with the doll while Mom is shopping or in waiting rooms,etc and still be easy to carry
We use a plastic milk jug with the bottom cut out, turn it upside down and use it as a funnel to fill our birdfeeders.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

What great ideas everyone has put up here. IT helps all. The ideas are fun too.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:32 PM

Plastic tubs, left behind when patients are discharged from hospital, used for washing small pieces of fabric or check for bleeding. Soak them in bleach and they are ready for use.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:37 PM

I use a lot of coffee too and have not thrown away a "can" in ages till i had to I use them for everything I paint them paint on them and store everything you can think of in them, use them to mix and save fabric dyes even the lids are good for a template in a pinch
Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 PM

Ha Ha - Love it!
Originally Posted by Quiltaddict View Post
Chocolate!! Fill that empty coffee can with chocolate and keep it close to your sewing machine. Quick cure for any frustrating moments (and you know there will be some).
Old 02-22-2012, 06:12 PM

I keep an empty Kleenex cube box in my sewing area to stuff plastic bags into. It will hold quite a few and they're not all over the place! I also keep one under my kitchen sink for the same purpose. If you let those bags loose, they will mate and multiply!

I bought one of those plastic 3 drawer carts on casters and keep it under my sewing table. It's perfect for extra needles, sewing machine manuals, paper, calculator, etc. My sewing table is an old kitchen table, so I had to lift it just a bit to get the cart under the edge. But now, the cart won't roll out, no matter how hard I pull on the drawers
Old 02-23-2012, 03:43 AM

I use the coffee cans to store pens, pencils & brushes in.