Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Container Tip?

Take a tall container like an oatmeal container. Make a fabric sleeve to fit the outside of it snugly, long enough to extend past the top. Tuck the top down inside of it. Put a glass jar inside of it. Put long stemmed silk flowers or fresh flowers in your custom "vase". Coordinate fabric to the decor in a friend's home and give as a gift.Especially nice as a way to give flowers from your garden.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 02-24-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    I save the empty "Breath Savers 3- Hour mint round boxes for my used Offa blades. I use the old blades for ripping out seams, they are still sharp enough for that.
    Also I get fresh spinach in the clear boxes and then use them for odds & ends of sewing threads, bias tape, laces scraps for small quilting items or anything that need to be kept together.

Quote Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
    I repurpose the square tissue boxes and have one on my sewing table for threads and snips.

I repurpose Altoids container for old needles.

When we have a sew-in we often use coffee filters for our threads and snips so it easier at cleanup time.

Have also used NEW pizza boxes for sorting strips ... and some carefully washed take out containgers.

Looking fwd to hearing more.

ali
    Jigs1354
    A clean house is the sign of an empty mind, a house has to be done again tomorrow, but hand work last for ever.
    By Unknown

I have 3 5gal pails under my cutting table. One for 2-1/2" squares, one for 4-1/2" squares,and one for strips.
    I use the gallon size clear plastic containers that pretzels and snack mix come in for zippers for flower projects, one for special Christmas squares, one for ribbons for wine bags.
    Pencil case to carry scissors, thread, ripper, etc to guild.

Blog Entries
    I use the stiff bottoms of Velveeta boxes in my cupbord to store small plastic lids from margarine/yogurt. Keeps them from swarming on you when you open the door!!
    TwandasMom

Blog Entries
    Hi FayZ,
    I live in St. Charles Il. Welcome to the neighborhood!!!

for the plastic coffee containers, I make large holes in the lids, cut the bottom off and use it to spread de-icing mixture during the winter...(not that I have had to use it this year). I just cover the lid with a plastic wrap, secured with a rubber band and remover it when ready to sprinkle....It is best to make the holes from the inside out, as the mixture moves out better that way...also do the same for garden food or grass seeding in spots the hole size is made dependent on the substance coming out....on camping vacation, i do the same and use it as a strainer for pasta, potatoes, veggies, etc to drain the liquid...space saver for sure....I also cut just the bottoms off and use it for a pattern holder as it is placed on the side....then I hang little file tabs (reusable) from the top to let me knnow what type of patterns are in each container.... just think outside the box and ideas come

I use these to wrap my binding around. I start at the bottom and wrap I take the corner and bend over edge.Use plastic lid to hold into place. If I have extra squares thread etc I can but in can and not lose.
    What ever is left over I just put them on the shelf make decoration pretty and then I remember what left over binding I have.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    Okay, not a container but a repurposed item. I use the multi-skirt hangers to hang my quilting rulers on. My sewing room is small and lacks wall space and flat surfaces for storing things. It has a walk in closet so I just hang the skirt hangers with the rulers on it on the clothes hanging rod right at the door so it is easy access. I have several of them and I am able to hang even my small 2 1/2" and 4" rulers on them. I was constantly "misplacing" the smaller sizes and replacing them. Now I know exactly where they are!
    I love this! I will use this idea for my floppy plastic stencils - thank you!

save your lids from your parmesan cheese,they fit on any standard mason jar.
    Christina

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltaddict View Post
    Chocolate!! Fill that empty coffee can with chocolate and keep it close to your sewing machine. Quick cure for any frustrating moments (and you know there will be some).
    Best advice ever!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Blog Entries
    I use a timer in my sewing room for those days when I need to quilt and time is tight. When I feel like I am the last priority, I give myself a treat, I set the timer for 15 minutes of heavenly sewing, and let nothing interrupt me. The cell phone doesn't get answered, the emails do not get read - it is my me time for sanity.

I also multi task, I will put a cake or brownies in the oven, go upstairs to my sewing room, and set the timer for when the baking is done. It has saved many disasters for me.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Container Tip

I've used coffee cans(metal ones)for grease before it goes it goes in the trash;jelly jars and baby food jars for screws,etc.; baby wipe boxes for storing pens,etc. in the kitchen,bathroom and my sewing room. There are so many things that I save to re-purpose, it drives my husband nuts.

Blog Entries
    I have seen where you can take some of the coffee cans or other cans, and paint them or cover them with fabric then on their side with opening facing you screw them into the wall, and attach others the same way either side by side or inches apart for storage, and an artful design.

I just moved from Ottawa IL. to Sycamore Il.
    Blog Entries
    I buy those little plastic spray bottles from walmart. In the travel size product isle.I fill half with starch half with water and keep by my iron pad. Its never gummed up and it makes the starch last longer.It's good for those small pieces of material that always get wrinkled when IM making a quilt.

Blog Entries
    I buy those small spary bottles in the travel size isle at walmart. I fill them half with starch and half with water.I keep it by my small iron pad to spray small quilt pieces that slways get wrinkled when I quilt.It makes the starch last longer.

Blog Entries
    sorry about the double post. My computer is slow this morning.

Blog Entries
    I, too, use the jumbo baggies...but, did you know that some Dollar Stores carry 2.5 gallon ones. They come
    6 to a box...I love them. Plus, I'm diabetic. The plastic containers that hold the testing strips are GREAT for
    holding full bobbins. I make several of the color I piecing with, then I don't have to stop everything to make
    a bobbin.

Blog Entries
    Lots and lots of great tips. My favorite is one I read here. I take left over batting, cut in to about 8" x 10" and use on the bottom of my swifter.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

I am bad for saving and trying to recycle things too. I get a lot of little plastic containers at work and bring them home. Some I haven't figured out what to use them for yet. We get drills in little plastic cylinders with a hooked lid on one end for hanging and a regular lid on other side. My neighbor used some for storing seeds in and I think I will use some for sorting needles in. We end up throwing lots out at work. I also use the plastic peanut butter jars for sorting parts and nails and screws in the shop. They don't break if I drop them. I have a different color lid for each part. Like red lids for screws and blue lids for nails etc. I saved those boxes checks come in and found a wonderful use for them. I was making a quilt for mom and it had small pieces in it and some of the peices I found were too close to the same size and color so i labeled each part in the square paper pattern with a letter and then put the same letter on each box and put the corresponding cut piece in the box.
    I have other things that won't come to mind right now but I am going to bookmark this thread for future reference.
    Lynda

Sharps Disposal

If your sharps container becomes full before you can return it to your hazardous waste center or drs office to get another one, you can use a detergent or fabric softener bottle or metal coffee can to store them till you can make the trip. Just seal the lid with tape and write sharps across the front. The material in the bottles is heavy enough that no one can get accidentlly punctured by the needles. By no means use soda or milk containers the plastic is too soft. I work for the sanitation dept and this is what we recommend.

I made a holder for those long upholstery and doll needles by cutting 3/4 pvc to length, glued on a cap at one end and a threaded cap at the other. Works for those expensive paint brushes too.

Those metal barbque skewers with a ring at one end? Bent the ring over, drilled a small hole in a short length of 2X4, pushed in the sharp end. Voila! An extra cone thread holder. Got fancy on a couple and inserted a dowel to keep the cone in place.

Love this thread.
    Last edited by redmadder; 02-27-2012 at 03:30 AM.
    Vic Tori Ann Work Shop

Does anyone have an idea what the crystal lite containers can be used for? I just can't seem to throw them away. Thanks for any help.

Blog Entries
    MAN. WHAT WONDERFUL TIPS everyone gave. I love the chocolate in the coffee can the best. the curtain rod was good also to ribbon or strips of material. I also use pant hangers for projects I am working on and projects I want to do.
    thanks to everyone great ideas.
    Dawn in Waco
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Rose View Post
    Does anyone have an idea what the crystal lite containers can be used for? I just can't seem to throw them away. Thanks for any help.
    If you are talking about the individual containers I save and use to put leaves down when starting African violets. Simply poke a hole in the bottom for drainage. Also with Spring coming up they can be used to start seeds or plants. The tall container that originally held the other containers perfectly fits the sticky rollers that you use to remove lint from you clothing. I also use them for pencil and pen containers on my desk. Ann in TN

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    You could wrap your binding around them! The last quilt project I did I used a bias binding and didn't want it to stretch so I wrapped it loosely around an empty toilet paper roll!
    Run a piece of bias tape, [an old necklace; yarn; whatever] thru the center; tie ends together and slip over your head. Now your binding will unroll from the tube as you stitch in place. Works same as a toilet paper roll.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast