Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Container Tip?

Quote Originally Posted by karen924 View Post
    Paper towel rolls when slit long ways will wrap around a plastic clothes hanger and keep from getting a fold line in slacks and quilt tops. I also use old sewing machine needles to hang pictures and empty pill bottles to hold dull or bent needles and pins. I prefer to use the mini M&M containers when I find them as they are easier to open. I tie a piece of ribbon, yarn or small strip of fabric to a pair of scissors when they get dull - then I know which ones to avoid and which ones to grab when there is a scissor sharpening event. The bags that curtains,come in are great for storing WIPs- love the ones with zippers. I repurpose shirt cardboard in my papercrafting. I use the tubes from diet drink mix for quilting safety pins and cat treats. I save the biggest plastic snack jars for yarn. I reuse all glass bottles. The pretty ones hold buttons, the bigger ones stay in the kitchen for leftover sauce or hot soup. This is a great thread!

Wow, I can use the paper towel roll idea. THANKS!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaT View Post
    One that I've done for years and haven't seen posted on this list...Empty Velveeta cheese boxes (the bottom box, made of heavy cardboard) make great drawer dividers in any room of the house. I never throw one away and they seem to eventually get used up.

Thanks. I always feel bad throwing the heavy bottom boxes away. I KNEW they had to be good for something. I just didn't know what, yet!
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by 4girlsmimi View Post
    You can hang pictures on the walls with those broken sewing machine needles. Put them in at a sharp angle and they hold nice sized pictures on the wall.

Another tip I use in my sewing room is (and I'm sure everyone knows this one) is to buy those plastic on one side and flannel on the other side table clothes at a reduced rate after the holidays) and hang in on the wall flannel side out, for my design wall. Works great!

One more, is to use a silverware plastic divider, the ones that hold the spoons, knives, forks, etc. and place it in my sewing cabinet drawer. Everything has a place. One of my cabinets wasn't big enough for it, so I cut it down to fit. Worked wonderful.

Love this post, by the way. Getting some great ideas from here. Thanks everyone.
    I've used the flannel side of the plastic table cloths to do jigsaw puzzles on when I needed to cover the puzzle ON THE DINING TABLE until I got back to working on the puzzle. I use another cloth table cover over the pieces.

I like the idea of a design wall. Thanks
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    One tip I love is using the empty liquid Coffee Mate containers to put water in next to my iron. It has a pour spout and smaller than water jug. Don't have to go to sink every time I need water.

Blog Entries
    I like the hard plastic containers with lids that are hinged. I reuse the Truvia jar container and the Taster's Choice Instant coffee containers the most. One touch opens the Taster's Choice container. It's great for thread and fabric snips. I use instant coffee in a lot of my baking and cooking. The labels are easy to take off so the container looks nicer. The brew coffee we use comes in a package so no coffee cans to save.
    Got fabric?

Why not use the coffee cans to hold binding? I have been using small cosmetic bags to hold binding "kits" (i.e. needle, needle holder, scissors, threader). I saw a suggestion to use the flat curtain rods to help with the side tension for the LA>

I also use baggies for holding cut pieces for my blocks. I have jelly and sorbet jars to hold my pins and wonder clips. I put bobbins in some old candy boxes. Scharffenberger factory was near where I used to live and they sold the little squares in these nice boxes with latches.

Used dryer fabric softner sheets. I use snuggle, and you would not believe how much product is left after 1 use, so save several and toss into dryer for a "free" load, then when you have accumulated 10 or 20, soak them in warm water to remove the rest of the product and perfume, then dry flat, press with low heat iron, this is free non woven interfacing lightweight, and I use them for foundation piecing crazy quilt blocks, nice rectangular size and very lightweight. Of course there was a email going around about a year ago for all the other uses for used dryer sheets, and it was extensive.
    pat design

I use empty pill bottles for alot of things. I have a small hole drilled into the lid for dull or broken needles and pins, ( ones not holding picture on the walls) and I use painters tape to tape it tp the wall in front of my machine.
    The kids love the coffee containers with the handles for playing in the sand ( or dirt) in the yard. I also use them to water the flower beds and my hose plants when we go away for a few days in summer. 2 lter bottles work for this also. fill with water, put lid on loosely, put small hole in bottom, will let water out slowly.

DH has been thrilled that I allow (yes, allow) him to buy peanuts in square pastic containers. I wash them, remove the labels (sometimes), re-label, and use them in the 5th wheel. They snug in better AND they seem to close and seal a LOT better than most containers I've spent good money on!!!!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    I am needing a set of heavy bookends to hold some very large heavy books. I plan on repurposing some inexpensive lidded decorative boxes from Hobby Lobby. If I fill these with shells or batteries, etc. they will be heavy enough to hold the books and will store the objects. Also look nice on the bookcase shelves.
    Get a couple of bricks from home improvement store or wherever, then quilt up a couple of freemotion practice squares and cover them, makes great bookends, and doorstops. I have even used some fabrics I love and had scraps from to cover them with out going to trouble of quilting, but we are quilters after all.
    pat design

I love all the reuse ideas. But this only works if you don't have someone who throws things out when your back is turned. We drink coffee in the plastic containers or in bags. So when I got 2 coffee cans I stuck them back. My brothers step daughter tossed them. She doesn't understand saving Anything to reuse. I have tried to explain to her but it just doesn't get through. She of course has no hobbies at all. Maybe that's it.If it isn't used within 24 hours out it goes. ACK!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
    DH has been thrilled that I allow (yes, allow) him to buy peanuts in square pastic containers.

That's funny! Is it the peanuts he is allowed to buy or just the ones in the square containers? I banned all unshelled nuts from inside the house. DH has a shop he can clean up the shell mess in, not me. Those shells are worse then Christmas tree tinsel.
    Got fabric?

what to do with these

Ok here is one for you all. These are the little tubes that Andy's poopy bags are wrapped on. I didn't realize I had so many in the bottom of his box by the door. lol
    Can anyone come up with something to do with these?
    Attached Images Attached Images

great ideas love them

Blessed be mickey

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
    Ok here is one for you all. These are the little tubes that Andy's poopy bags are wrapped on. I didn't realize I had so many in the bottom of his box by the door. lol
    Can anyone come up with something to do with these?
    You could wrap your binding around them! The last quilt project I did I used a bias binding and didn't want it to stretch so I wrapped it loosely around an empty toilet paper roll!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I love plastic canvas, especially the colored kind because it is heavier. You can make any size box or tray by cutting to size and whip-stitching the sides together and the bottom. You can even make a lid. Cover with yarn or fabric or not. I've made drawer organizers, magazine holders, boxes, etc.

I've also used the plastic mushroom boxes for storing glues, hand stitching supplies for when I handsew the binding to the quilt back, plastic pill bottles for used needles and pins, and no small cardboard box ever goes to waste. If not in use, then waiting for the next idea.

Besides hanging pictures, I came up with another idea for used needles. I made my design wall out of foamcore board covered with flannel. If I needed to pin up a strip or row that was too heavy to stay stuck to the flannel, I tried to pin it, but often bent the pin. Now I use a used machine needle. Much sturdier and doesn't bend.
    SittingPretty

About the only reusable item in the kitchen that has not been mentioned is the plastic containers that individual shortening come in, one has a lid the other 4 do not, but they are great for straighty pins, loose threads, bobbins, etc. All these ideas are great and thanks everyone for sharing..
    hopingtobegood

When they are empty I wash out the plastic containers from my "Oil of Olay" face cream. They are heavy plastic with a screw on lid and are perfect for buttons, clips, etc.

There is another kitchen item that has not been mentioned. One of those dish drainers that have the straight up posts. If you are a machine embroiderer, you can use one of these to line up your different colors of thread. It works very well and you don't have thread rolling all over the place.

Blog Entries
    I reuse cleaned popcorn tin cans as wastepaperbaskets; for sorting scraps-lights-mediums-darks.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

I am using 2 metal hospital bedside cabinets for 'legs' for my cutting table. They were discards-very inexpensive.
    My husband made a large wood piece for the top. The cabinets have a drawer each & shelves inside a door for
    storage.
    We re-painted them, & they look nice..........just the right height too.

Large plastic coffee containers

I cut the bottoms out of the large coffee containers and place them around my tomato pants at planting time. Bury them an inch or so in the soil around the plant and they make watering easy and the water seeps in slowly.

I've made purses out of the cigar boxes.

I reuse the shaker spice containers (the ones that are about 4-5" tall) for my used needles & pins. The shaker holes are big enough for the yellow ball headed pins and it opens & closes easily. And it's big enough to find - I kept losing the film cannisters.

LMB
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
    I had just read through the wonderful thread Those Wonderful Empty Tissue Boxes . It gave so many of us wonderful ideas, with others coming up with their uses. It had me wishing there was more threads like this that would help all of us.

I always have these empty large tin coffee cans, because me and my husband go through a lot of coffee. I use some of the plastic ones with the built in handles to fill with water for my dogs to have extra water outside, because they have their water bowls inside.

Anyone have good sewing/quilting/crafting/etc. uses for these cans, and what other tips of things we can all use that we have around the house??

I look forward to all of your ideas/tips. Pictures are also nice.
    I poke a hole in the lid and put string in them. When I work with more than one color yarn (I crochet) I keep yarn in them. I use a round file and smooth out the hole so the yarn slides easy. Been doing this for a long time. PS it works well for binding too... just cut a slot rather than a hole. I also drink a ton of coffee, and these cans are great~!
    I never met a quilt I didnt love.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast