Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Container Tip? >

Container Tip?

Container Tip?

Old 02-24-2012, 12:28 PM

for the plastic coffee containers, I make large holes in the lids, cut the bottom off and use it to spread de-icing mixture during the winter...(not that I have had to use it this year). I just cover the lid with a plastic wrap, secured with a rubber band and remover it when ready to sprinkle....It is best to make the holes from the inside out, as the mixture moves out better that way...also do the same for garden food or grass seeding in spots the hole size is made dependent on the substance coming out....on camping vacation, i do the same and use it as a strainer for pasta, potatoes, veggies, etc to drain the liquid...space saver for sure....I also cut just the bottoms off and use it for a pattern holder as it is placed on the side....then I hang little file tabs (reusable) from the top to let me knnow what type of patterns are in each container.... just think outside the box and ideas come
Old 02-24-2012, 01:24 PM

I use these to wrap my binding around. I start at the bottom and wrap I take the corner and bend over edge.Use plastic lid to hold into place. If I have extra squares thread etc I can but in can and not lose.
What ever is left over I just put them on the shelf make decoration pretty and then I remember what left over binding I have.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Okay, not a container but a repurposed item. I use the multi-skirt hangers to hang my quilting rulers on. My sewing room is small and lacks wall space and flat surfaces for storing things. It has a walk in closet so I just hang the skirt hangers with the rulers on it on the clothes hanging rod right at the door so it is easy access. I have several of them and I am able to hang even my small 2 1/2" and 4" rulers on them. I was constantly "misplacing" the smaller sizes and replacing them. Now I know exactly where they are!
I love this! I will use this idea for my floppy plastic stencils - thank you!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:31 PM

save your lids from your parmesan cheese,they fit on any standard mason jar.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltaddict View Post
Chocolate!! Fill that empty coffee can with chocolate and keep it close to your sewing machine. Quick cure for any frustrating moments (and you know there will be some).
Best advice ever!
Old 02-24-2012, 03:03 PM

I use a timer in my sewing room for those days when I need to quilt and time is tight. When I feel like I am the last priority, I give myself a treat, I set the timer for 15 minutes of heavenly sewing, and let nothing interrupt me. The cell phone doesn't get answered, the emails do not get read - it is my me time for sanity.

I also multi task, I will put a cake or brownies in the oven, go upstairs to my sewing room, and set the timer for when the baking is done. It has saved many disasters for me.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:34 PM

Default Container Tip

I've used coffee cans(metal ones)for grease before it goes it goes in the trash;jelly jars and baby food jars for screws,etc.; baby wipe boxes for storing pens,etc. in the kitchen,bathroom and my sewing room. There are so many things that I save to re-purpose, it drives my husband nuts.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

I have seen where you can take some of the coffee cans or other cans, and paint them or cover them with fabric then on their side with opening facing you screw them into the wall, and attach others the same way either side by side or inches apart for storage, and an artful design.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:10 AM

I buy those little plastic spray bottles from walmart. In the travel size product isle.I fill half with starch half with water and keep by my iron pad. Its never gummed up and it makes the starch last longer.It's good for those small pieces of material that always get wrinkled when IM making a quilt.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:15 AM

I buy those small spary bottles in the travel size isle at walmart. I fill them half with starch and half with water.I keep it by my small iron pad to spray small quilt pieces that slways get wrinkled when I quilt.It makes the starch last longer.