Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
QuiltE, do you speak French?
Oh, I also took 4 yrs of Latin. Lots of use for that LOL.

Oh no ... not all Canucks speak French!
When I went to school we didn't have it offered until Grade 9. And you didn't have to take it.
I did take it all 5 years, but at that time, it was very minimal what you picked up ... and very little conversational too.
Now the kids can start right in Kindergarten ... and can even do French Immersion where more is taught in French than English. Those students certainly become bilingual. And I envy them for being so fortunate. Of course, not all take it that way ... I think all get it in Elementary School now, not sure when that becomes a mandatory. I know they have to take only one year of French in High School, to be eligible for University. Of course, many will take it all the way thru.

I still have some French ... though because of lack of use, it's dwindling. I can read some French, and have some conversational. A few years ago I was a Tour Director on a Highway Coach with a Quebecois driver ... he practiced his English and I practiced my French. And it was amazing how much came back to me in that week ... and had me yearning to become inundated and develop my skills! At the end, I remember him sayin "you come with me on tour for two weeks, and you'll be speaking French!". Well maybe not quite so easily ... but I was surprised how much I had improved in just that one week. It didn't happen ... no more good French drivers to work with.

And yes ....... I have five years of Latin ... oh so useful!! ha! Although I did enjoy it!