View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 07:27 PM
jojo47

Originally Posted by luv2so View Post
I think I would have called the police. Especially if I saw a truck with people moving things out and none of the people were the ones that owned the house. Even more so if I never saw a For Sale sign. I'm sure someone in the neighborhood talked to those neighbors.

I got a check for $5,000.00 in the mail a few years ago that asked me to cash the check and keep $1,000.00. I checked the bank, the signature name, address, etc. There was a bank by that name at that address and the signature on the check was from the President of the bank. I immediately called the bank and the law in Texas. They asked me to send the check to them, but void it first. Nope, not doing that. So I told them until I knew for sure what to do I'll just send a copy and keep the original until needed. Long story short, there was a ring of people living in a motel there sending out checks from various banks, they did catch them and I did send the original check and the thugs are serving time as we speak.

Sick people out there. Had I been stupid enough to cash that check I would have had to cover the entire $5,000.00!
Luvs2so, something similar happened to me about a year ago. I got a check in the mail, supposedly from CitiBank, for an amount over $3,000 and a letter telling me I had 'won' this. Hmmm...sounded good, but the check, although it looked legit on the front, didn't look like a normal check on the back. DH was with me at the time, and said the same. I called the CitiBank 800 number, spoke with a representative, who was very helpful, and told me, "M'am, that sounds like a scam" and told me to call my local law enforcement. I did, and found out a number of people had been duped. The 'winners' were asked to deposit the check, keep a certain amount, and Western Union the balance to a place somewhere offshore. There was also a phone number to call which didn't match anything in the continental U.S. Like you, had I fallen for that malarkey, I would've been responsible for the entire amount.