View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 05:57 AM
thepolyparrot

The Brother CS6000i is a nice little machine - won't handle a steady diet of heavy sewing tasks for long, but it will piece and sew average weight and light weight fabric very well - with a pretty assortment of decorative & utility stitches and several types of built-in buttonholes.

If you're up to to the research involved and possibly learning to do some of your own maintenance, I would look around at garage sales & craigslist, etc and try to find a Kenmore from the 70's in a nice big heavy cabinet.

I have an 1802 and an 1803 from the early 70's and there are probably a couple of dozen machines that are related to these.

They're *heavy* machines and so versatile - most of them come with a huge assortment of attachments and accesories including 20-25 feet, a chainstitch set-up, a monogrammer, buttonholer, stitch disks, etc.

My 1803 has about a dozen different stitches built in and disks for 30 more. It's one of my best FMQ machines, except that the throat is smallish. (Not smallish like the modern machines, just not big like the Singer 15) I LOVE this machine - it will do everything. I didn't pay a huge amount for it, as I recall, but I did spend $125 to have the two internal belts replaced, the electrical checked and the normal COA done. I spent a couple of days cleaning it inside and out and she's been a fabulous machine ever since. She plows through anything I give her.

Good luck and have fun!