Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Advice, I can't decide! >

Sewing Machine Advice, I can't decide!

Sewing Machine Advice, I can't decide!

Old 02-22-2012, 08:19 PM

Default Sewing Machine Advice, I can't decide!

I have had several mid-range machines over the years and I am tired of paying $700 for machines and they just don't last. I have had Bernina and Singer, both computerized and expensive. The Bernina I had tuned up as part of the service when I bought it. It NEVER sewed the same after. It is awful and the store said there was nothing wrong with the stitches. Hello? Do you see the bird's nest on the back every few inches? So, since I couldn't get it fixed I bought the Singer. It is having issues now.
So, I am wondering, which machines should I consider? I sew a few days a week, but when I start piecing a top, I might spend hours on the machine.
I have looked at Janome, Hancock's has a nice one for $350 but they won't let me try it without buying it first. Babylock Grace and Elizabeth (pricey) but seem to be nice machines. And then if they don't last long, why spend the big bucks and just go for the $200 Brother at Wal-Mart. Looking for any suggestions since my budget is limited right now. I like the Babylock Jane that is a straight stitch machine but since I use decorative stitches for my binding I would still need a second machine.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 PM

What issues are you having with the Singer?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:26 PM

I have contacted Singer for the correct bobbin size, but it still bounces up and down while sewing. It gets really bad after I have only used about half of the bobbin. It messes up the tension, so I start out looking good and the more I sew, the worse it looks. Adjusting the tension has not helped. I have tried Gutterman thread, Coats and Clark, even serger thread to no avail. Any ideas?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 PM

What Singer do you have? How are you winding the bobbin?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 PM

It is the Singer Quantum 9920. I wind the bobbin on the bobbin winder that is on the top of the machine.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM

I have 3 new Singers but I don't have that one. I thought that maybe you were using the Simplicity bobbin winder. When I used that, I always had problems with the bobbin on my L500. I was using the Simplicity bobbin winder just as a convenience--winding a bunch of bobbins at once for all the machines so I wouldn't have to stop sewing to wind bobbins. Inspect your bobbins closely and see if there are any nicks or cracks in them. I had a problem once and when I looked there were minute cracks in it as if I had somehow wound the bobbin too full. Don't know how it happened but when I changed to another bobbin it was fine. My CE250 was making a racket once but that was because I hadn't cleaned the bobbin area in a while. Once I cleaned all the dust out and oiled the hook it worked perfectly! I've never had a problem using any particular thread unless I am FMQ'g.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

So sorry to hear about your machines!!! Good luck finding the right machine!!! I love my vikings!!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Kas

Take the Bernina to a qualified Bernina service shop. The first place did something wrong. Bernina has great service. They should make it right. I love mine to pieces.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:03 PM

Compare the bobbin number given in the instruction book for your Singer and the bobbin number for the bobbin you actually have in your machine. There are 2 of the clear plastic bobbins for use with Singer machines that appear to be identical but are actually two different sizes. I bought additional bobbins so I could have extra of several different colors, used one of them and stitches were awful. Put in one of the older ones and everything was great. Read the manual and it said to check the size of the bobbin and make sure you had the correct size. Replacing the new bobbins resolved my problem.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kas View Post
Take the Bernina to a qualified Bernina service shop. The first place did something wrong. Bernina has great service. They should make it right. I love mine to pieces.

Yes, and I'd be curious to know what model Bernina you have that you bought new for $700? Never heard of such a thing except for a Bernette, which isn't made by Bernina. If it's a Bernette, well, lesson learned but if it's a Bernina, I agree it needs to be taken to a different, certified technician.