Old 02-26-2012, 10:52 AM
shelburn

Oh, boy!! This happened to a good friend of mine. Shel paid under a hundred dollars for a checkup and cleaning of her older singer machine. She had it back for about a week and tried to use it, and it was doing the same thing it had done when she took it in.
The thing that bugs me is that I have an older machine and have had fairly good service with this shop until recently.
I took my good old workhorse in for a part that had broken, and it took her two months to get it back to me, claiming she had trouble getting the part, and suggesting that I scrap the machine and buy a new one (from her!) I had recommended this dealer to my friend and was really mortified when she told me what was happening.
Well, I had been reading on this forum how to clean and check out the older machines and suggested we look at it.
We took it apart with the manual at out elbow, saw dust and dirt inside that should not have been there if it had been cleaned. We cleaned and oiled the area that she had been having trouble with, and guess what! It works like a charm now.
I would suggest being very careful of these repair shops that sell new machines, even if you have been using them for years, as I had been. With the economy as it is today, I think some repair shops would rather sell a new machine that put work into repairing the old ones.
Since then, I have acquired a new inexpensive non-electronic Janome, a 1880's treadle, a 401 Singer, two Japanese
machines, a Morse and a Dressmaker dellux all for less than $75. And they all sew beautifully! I can clean them and
service them myself and if I run into a problem, there is always help on vintage machine sites!
Hope you took your machine back and complained!