View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 11:42 AM
onaemtnest

I put all of my fabric on comic boards one year ago.

IMHO it does save space ~ it organizes so I can see at a glance what I have with no moving stacks of fabric to get to ultimately it seemed the fabric at the bottom of the stack. :0) I had three large double door cabinets with shelving, try as I might folding around a ruler was nice until I had to move the stack. Then fabric stacks were in front of stacks....and so forth.

When I took out all my fabric all at once....stacked all the fabrics on cutting table ~ sewing table ~ the floor ~ ironing board ~ everything out of the cabinets which forced me to see what I had. Then I took about a week evaluating each cut of fabric...was it something I'd ever use, was it the quality I wanted to use...those fabrics that didn't make the 'cut' (pun intended;0) I donated. Some of storage space saved was due to getting rid of some fabrics....but overall I do believe it saved space for me as I emptied one double door 6 foot wide by 7 foot tall by 24" deep cabinet. I also sold all my scraps and any pieces under 1 yard went into those scrap boxes.

The only fabric I wrapped on comic boards were 1-5 yards per board....over five yards stayed on the bolts from the store.

Bottom line is that if I had it to do over again I would use more substantial boards like some have mentioned getting the foam boards from the Dollar Store and cutting to size that fits my particular shelving...the comic boards fit the book shelves fine however my two remaining cabinets are a bit deeper. Not that I'm that disappointed in the comic boards at all....I LOVE the organization of my fabrics now.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 02-26-2012 at 11:45 AM.