View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 AM
Holice
Banned

Since you are a beginner and after looking at your design, I would suggest "echo" quilting which is about 1/4" outside each seam. This will give definitation to the shapes in the design. There is a place or two that you might do some more decorative or pattern quilting but I do not believe it necessary.
And since you are a beginner hand quilter I would suggest getting the book "Learn To Do Hand Quilting In Just One Day" by Nancy Brenan Daniel. It is a very good basic hand quilting book and is not expensive. If I can be a bit more basic here,.......the stitch you would use is a simple running stitch through all layers of the fabric.
You dont really need a hoop or frame as long as you can get your hand under the quilt to help guide the needle. Don't get frustrated at first with trying to make very small stitches but make them even as you can.
It is difficult to describe the technique with words. A picture would be better. You can google hand quilting and perhaps find a Yutube demo. I just had a thought. Is it possible to demo thru SKYPE. I'll have to try that. I will suggest this as a practice for you. Get a piece of 1/8 (small) gingham check fabric. Sandwichabout 24" square with batting (be sure and use a thin poly batting). Secure the layers and then just do a running stitch following the checks.
Stitching thru layers is different than through two layers of fabric. Do this until you get the feel of the stitching and gain a rhythm. I probably tried to describe too much here but it is early in the day.
Now when you want to add more decorative designs my suggestiokn is to use a stencil. Google quilting stencils and you will get some sites. The Stencil Co is one. Quilting Creations International is another. Their pages will show some designs.