Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Advise Again Hand quilters. >

Need Advise Again Hand quilters.

Need Advise Again Hand quilters.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:38 AM

Default Need Advise Again Hand quilters.

As most of you are aware I am new to quilting. I am to the point that I need to start top stitching. I'm not sure what pattern I want or should stitch. How do you decide on what to top stitch? Here is the quilt pattern I used Different colors plus a few differences. Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Also, Joanns has some computer software for quilting by " Electric Quilt Company" Has anyone used any of this? How easy or not is it to transfer the design to your quilt? Or is just using a regular plastic stencil what works Best?

Thanks again for the help.

Diane

http://www.blankquilting.com/ImageDi...e=QuiltMaster1

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-27-2012 at 05:14 AM. Reason: make link active
Old 02-27-2012, 04:43 AM

I like to echo quilt. Sometimes on a "curvy" quilt I do straight lines and a straight quilt do meandering (curves).
Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 AM

Software like Electric Quilt Company is for designing quilts, it is not simple to use and you will need to take classes to learn it. If you are starting out in quilting, learn how to make quilts without the software - no reason to use it now and I think it will make you very frustrated. There are plenty of quilting magazines and books around to learn from, and I bet if you check with any quilters you know you will be given magazines. Quiltmaker magazines are excellent to learn from and they do give topstitching/quilting suggestions.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:18 AM
dd

Check your library. I know mine has books just on quilting motifs. Also our quilt guild has a library. These are mostly books and mags that people have donated but the info in them is still good. I didn't get a picture to come up, not surprising with my computer, so can't comment on what quilting to do.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

The EQ site says that the software is "Compatible with EQ6 and EQ7 [but not required]"
Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 AM
Banned

Since you are a beginner and after looking at your design, I would suggest "echo" quilting which is about 1/4" outside each seam. This will give definitation to the shapes in the design. There is a place or two that you might do some more decorative or pattern quilting but I do not believe it necessary.
And since you are a beginner hand quilter I would suggest getting the book "Learn To Do Hand Quilting In Just One Day" by Nancy Brenan Daniel. It is a very good basic hand quilting book and is not expensive. If I can be a bit more basic here,.......the stitch you would use is a simple running stitch through all layers of the fabric.
You dont really need a hoop or frame as long as you can get your hand under the quilt to help guide the needle. Don't get frustrated at first with trying to make very small stitches but make them even as you can.
It is difficult to describe the technique with words. A picture would be better. You can google hand quilting and perhaps find a Yutube demo. I just had a thought. Is it possible to demo thru SKYPE. I'll have to try that. I will suggest this as a practice for you. Get a piece of 1/8 (small) gingham check fabric. Sandwichabout 24" square with batting (be sure and use a thin poly batting). Secure the layers and then just do a running stitch following the checks.
Stitching thru layers is different than through two layers of fabric. Do this until you get the feel of the stitching and gain a rhythm. I probably tried to describe too much here but it is early in the day.
Now when you want to add more decorative designs my suggestiokn is to use a stencil. Google quilting stencils and you will get some sites. The Stencil Co is one. Quilting Creations International is another. Their pages will show some designs.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

I can't recommend this book highly enough if you wish to pursue handquilting

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Quil...0350600&sr=1-1

Actually it is a great book to have in your library for any kind of quilting. I love this book and you can pick it up used for a song.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:34 AM

I will echo - no pun intended - what the others here have said and do 'echo' quilting as described around the shapes in the main body of your quilt. I would probably do something a bit fancier in the border as you have more room to show off the actual quilting - maybe a simple braid or something along those lines. I would also recommend just a simple plastic stencil for whatever you do in the borders. It's the easiest way. You can either use a piece of masking/painters tape to outline your various blocks/shapes for the echo quilting. For marking more complex designs I use a plain old #2 mechanical pencil. If it's a very dark fabric I use a white version of the same. I can't tell you how many different marking tools I have tried over the years and these work best for me. Test them on your fabrics first but I've never had issues with the marks washing out after the quilting is complete and the binding is on. Enjoy the process.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:13 AM

I agree with everything above. I will add one more piece of advice. Don't try to make the small little stitches that everyone ooh's and ahh's over when you first start. Don't worry about your stitch length, strive for consistant stitches. Your stitches will get smaller with time but even teeny tiny stitches look bad if they aren't consistant. Enjoy the journey, don't try to run before you're comfortable with the track. Happy sewing!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 AM

For a visual, type "learning to hand quilt videos" into your search engine. There are alot of very good demos, watch a few and choose one that works for you. I use a small plastic q-snap lap frame when quilting and really like it.