View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Holice
Banned

My thoughts.
The width of your cut binding (to be folded) relates directly with the size of your seam allowance. A "rule" we used back in the olden days is the cut binding should be 6 times the width of your seam. Now this needs adjustments to accommodate the folds in the binding and the depth of your betting. But this is a start. Also, all bindings need not be calculated on the 1/4" seam allowance. That seam allowance is only necessary if you are binding to the edge of patchwork and have only 1/4" along the edge AND/OR you specifically want a 1/4" finished binding. Most all books and instruction tell us to cut 2 1/2" and sew 1/4" without discussing other options.
If you are binding a quilt that has borders, you don't need to stay with the 1/4" seam and binding unless you just want that size. I use a 3/8" seam. I started cutting at 2 1/2" but found that was a bit too wide on the back for me so I reduced it 2 1/4" and the binding folded to the back and fit better. You can certainly leave more on the back than the front. It should be even on the back.
My basic rules for good bindings are:
Even width with consistent seam all the way to the end.
Binding is full (for looks and stability)
Well mitred Corners
Small even stitches if doing by hand (for stability)
Fussy Cut. The means that if you use an even pattern on the fabric that you cut with the pattern and not grain line so the pattern will be straight in the binding.

Bias ginding is necessary for good rounded and curved edges but not necessary if edge is straight. This is a personal preference.
I cut bindings on the width of the fabric unless the pattern goes up and down. Width cutting gives a bit of stretch when applying.
And remember that all the different methods are those the individual has found easy for him or her. The inventions of special "tools" is also what the individual has found useful in making good bindings. These techniques are for use to try and adapt if we also find them useful in doing the quality bindings we want.

I have found that the biggest harm to my bindings is going too fast. Some parts of quiltmaking can't be rushed.