View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 02:56 PM
COYOTEMAGIC

A Poster asked me to come back to this thread and explain how I use SCHOOL glue to baste my quilts. By basting I mean putting together the "sandwich". Top, batting, and backing are put together SCHOOL glue. Have never used spray glue.

I don't have the room to lay out a quilt to baste. I have a huge kitchen floor, but I also have 5 cats and 2 dogs. “Sandwiching” on the floor? Not happening. My design wall is made from corrugated plastic---old political posters. I use straight pins to pin up my blocks/quilt. I also use it to layout my work as I make the quilt "Sandwich"

First I pin up my backing. I stretch it taught and pin it down.

Next I pin my batting over the backing. I always make sure I have 3 extra inches of backing on all 4 sides (I usually do a “fold over” binding but that’s another post)
I then unpin one quarter of the quilt (I can do up to a full size on my wall) and apply a thin lines of SCHOOL glue about 3 inches apart up and down on the backing. I then fold the batting back into place, give it a pat, and let it set for a few minutes to set. I then do the same thing with the other 3 corners.

After the glue dries (about 30 min) I stretch my top over the batting and pin into place. I unpin on corner of the top, apply a thin line of SCHOOL glue about 6 inches apart from side to side on the batting, pin the top back down, give it a little pat, wait a few minutes and do the other 3 corners. I make these lines farther apart to keep the glue from being too thick in areas. (just like you get when a lot of seams come together)

I’ll let the quilt dry for an hour and then quilt it. Bind it. I’ve never had a problem with the needle going through the sandwich and glue.

When I’m done, I pop my quilt in my regular Home Depot Special washer on the gentle cycle cold water and wash as usual. All the glue is gone when I’m done.

I’m sure the same thing could be done over a table with a plastic tablecloth over it or even on your vinyl flooring, it’s got to be mopped anyway.