Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 PM
cmrenno

Smile

I am new to treadling and I started out without any thread in the needle and no fabric. I left the presser foot in the up postion and just practiced till I got the feel of treadling. Then I put some fabric under the presser foot and practiced sewing without any thread in the machine. It took me a little time to treadle and keep that fabric going straight. Then I sewed on scrap strips of fabric with thread. Finally I made a pair of potholders with scraps of fabric. Between you and me I am not going to let anyone see these potholders. I am going to save them to see how far I come.

I just finished a small lap quilt that I can proudly say I made and quilted all on the treadle. I am very proud of myself. My husband thinks that I have completely taken leave of my senses because I have several sewing machines and I insist on mastering this treadle sewing machine. But I find it very satisfying.

And I tried several kind of shoes and I found that my Crocs are my shoes of choice for treadling. I have always sewn on my other machines in my stocking feet but that just wouldn't work for me. I also found that the more I treadled the easier it got because the oil worked in.

Have fun. You'll get the hang of it!

Colleen

Last edited by cmrenno; 03-01-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: misspelled words