Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How to start treadling in the right direction >

How to start treadling in the right direction

How to start treadling in the right direction

Old 03-01-2012, 09:14 PM

Since I always "start" my machines, no matter which one I'm using, (the way my mama taught me...it's habit whether they need to be started or not) the only time I had trouble treadling was with my Singer W9...because the handwheel is backwards to most machines. Instead of pulling it toward you to start the machine, you push it away...

Other than that, I can't think of any problems I had with treadling...it was the same to me as an e-machine with the exception of I get to move my feet instead of having to hold one on the e-machine's footfeed or hold a knee to the kneebar...I tend to have restless legs so treadling fits right in!
The only problems I've had is when I did some FMQ on my 115....and my problem was a lack of stamina! Most quilting are short seams...FMQ can be one very long "seam", and my legs wore out!

I treadle with both feet, heel of right foot on the far side of the pedal, toe of left foot on the close side...
Old 03-02-2012, 03:18 AM

I'm waiting for parts so the 1923 Redeye can get some use. So that's why they call it a hand wheel.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Muv

Jean - If you go to Youtube and look for Treadlelady's channel you will see a quick video demonstrating how to treadle. Also go to http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines...totreadle.html and there is an explanation of how to do it.

The only real problem I have with treadling is that I always try and grab the non-existent handle to start off. Much like my friend - I cleaned up a hand machine for her last week, and when she started to sew with it she kept putting her foot down on a non-existent pedal.

I put my left foot nearer to me, my right foot further away on the treadle, and start off by moving the balance wheel with my hand. The hardest thing I found was learning to keep my feet absolutely still when I stopped - the slightest movement backwards can cause the thread to break.

Last edited by Muv; 03-02-2012 at 03:21 PM.