Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How to start treadling in the right direction >

How to start treadling in the right direction

How to start treadling in the right direction

Old 01-28-2012, 07:22 PM

Such an interesting thread... I have a treadle in my storage unit.. It's beautiful, but I've never used really used it. Now I'm curious as to whether I can sew with it or not.. I'm thinking it would be a wonderful machine to use when I'm up in the night.. I'm guessing it makes very little noise as you use it.. I wanna go get my treadle... bet DH would roll his eyes at me if I told him what I want to do!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:26 PM

Thanks again for all your comments and I hope everyone who treadles will report their experience with sewing. I even have a buttonhole attachment for mine. I hope to get fast enough and smooth enough to use it.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 PM

When I learned to use a machine, (before the dawn of time) electric or treadle, you never started from a dead stop -- you had to pull the wheel forward. That is what the wheel was for. I still tend to start that way even though it is not necessary and the wheel is not as easy to grab ahold of. Although it is a bit buried, my hand just goes there when I start. My Mom would never have allowed otherwise as the treadle would go backward, and the electric would just sort of balk or stall.
My mother's electric machine from the 1920's is still in use as is the treadle we had at the cottage where the electicity was unreliable and new school clothes were made in August. Being able to make the treadle work (go forward) was always a thrill for my children.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

I too have that habit of pulling the wheel to start - maybe that is what I hate about the newer machines - nothing to grab...
Old 03-01-2012, 03:41 PM

Jean, and others,

I currently ( subject to change without notice ) have three functional treadle machines and two under repair.

Functional ones are:
>Singer Treadle #1: 66-4 circa 1919 in a 5 drawer cabinet. Complete, original, and cranky as all get out. It was a gift from my late cousin. Sat in storage for 12 years before I decided to learn to use it about 4 four months ago.

>Singer Treadle #2: 66-4 circa 1924 in a 7 drawer cabinet. Came to me as a machine that had been electrified many decades ago. When I got it the electrical wire was petrified and disintegrating. And the motor had long been removed.
So I converted back to treadle. NOT an easy job as finding the parts is difficult. I got the parts from members of "The Sewing Forum" before the hackers killed it. Some from Iowa and some from Australia.

>Franklin 1911: This one's in a parlor cabinet and came to me semi complete but with severe water damage to the bottom of the cabinet. Now fixed.

OK, having said that here is some things I've learned.

>>Belts:
They stretch like a rubber band at first. Instructions say to pre-stretch them then cut and instal them. My experience is that I put them in where it feels good, gently crimp the wire connector and then treadle the daylights out of the machine. In very little time you'll need to shorten the belt. Less time if you are actually sewing with them, and ever less time if you fill a lot of bobbins on the machine. That bobbin winder puts a lot of load on the treadle belt.
My #1 treadle took three adjustments to get it not to slip.
The #2 is on adjustment #1.
The Franklin is on adjustment #3.
Now, here's how I adjust the belts. When the belt starts slipping I get my Dremel tool out and put in a very small 1/16" diameter burr, and with the belt still attached to both wheels I make a hole the same distance from the existing hole as the distance from the end of the belt to the existing hole. Maybe a quarter inch. Then I cut the belt and put the connector in the new hole. This way I can adjust it until it quits stretching without it getting too short. Shortening the belt a 1/4" will make a big difference.

>>Singer metal pitman shaft assemblies:
My number one machine will stall at the blink of an eye. To get it to move at all I have to turn the hand wheel.
It aggravates me no end. I cannot get the machine to rotate forwards with the treadle. It will always go backwards.

The Franklin is a lot better. I can glance at the hand wheel, twitch the treadle and know which way it's going to go. Then work the treadle accordingly.

The #2 Singer is a dream. I can get the machine running almost every time with just the treadle plate.

The problem is I believe in the pitman rod assembly. Let me explain.

On the bottom of the pitman rod is a large nut affair with a ball socket in it that fits into the hole in the upper right corner of the treadle plate. On my #1 machine I took this apart, cleaned it and lubed it then fought to get it tight enough to not clunk but loose enough to move freely. It sill will not run slowly or start correctly.

When I returned the #2 treadle to a treadle I got the pitman rod assembly from Australia. It is a Chinese reproduction but it's all I could find. In the bottom of the big nut is a spring loaded plunger. This plunger allows the plate to move a bit when the pitman rod and the big wheel crank shaft is in a direct line. With the ability to compress the treadle can overcome the tendency to lock up and not start, or stall and then want to rotate backwards.

When I had the big nut assembly apart on my #1 treadle I did not see this plunger assembly. I hope it's just stuck in the bottom of it's hole, if so I can fix it. If not I'll have to fabricate one.

It's my theory, yet to be proven, this one little unseen part is what will cause some Singer treadles to run great, and some to be cranky old witches.

I've yet to take the #1 pitman apart to see if my theory is right. Just too many other sewing machines to get up and running. It's turn is coming.

>>Learning to treadle:
I've been told that you need rhythm to make a treadle go. I don't buy it. I had fits when I got the #1 treadle out of storage and began to use it. I couldn't make it go forwards without it stalling then reversing itself and breaking the thread on me. OH HOW FRUSTRATED I got. I got so hot under the collar once we thought the smoke alarm was going to to off.
Then out of frustration I just put my left foot on the treadle plate and started spinning the hand wheel. I don't know how long I spun that hand wheel but while I was doing it I had a physical / mental epiphany. Suddenly my mind and foot understood what was needed and I took off like I knew what I was doing. Within a couple days of running the machine I could make it go and keep it going.
For the most part I treadle bare foot or in socks. I just don't have the "feel" with shoes on.
I have spinal arthritis and a messed up vertebra in my neck that causes my right side and leg to be a bit less coordinated than the left. So I treadle with my left foot mostly. Occasionally putting the right foot on as well, and even less occasionally using just the right foot. My right side tires very quickly and the foot just looses it's ability to do as I tell it. However, when I do get the treadle going I can sew almost as fast as my wife can sew on her electric machines. I just can't keep it up as long. Pant, pant, pant, pant.

Hope this helps a bit.

Oh and here's a funny thing ... My wife learned to sew on an electric machine. Since I've gotten the treadles up and running she's tried on every one of them and just cannot get the hang of it. She admits she prefers electric. I keep telling her she needs to learn how to treadle cos when TEOTWAWKI comes we'll have the treadles to fall back on.

Joe
Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 PM

Smile

I am new to treadling and I started out without any thread in the needle and no fabric. I left the presser foot in the up postion and just practiced till I got the feel of treadling. Then I put some fabric under the presser foot and practiced sewing without any thread in the machine. It took me a little time to treadle and keep that fabric going straight. Then I sewed on scrap strips of fabric with thread. Finally I made a pair of potholders with scraps of fabric. Between you and me I am not going to let anyone see these potholders. I am going to save them to see how far I come.

I just finished a small lap quilt that I can proudly say I made and quilted all on the treadle. I am very proud of myself. My husband thinks that I have completely taken leave of my senses because I have several sewing machines and I insist on mastering this treadle sewing machine. But I find it very satisfying.

And I tried several kind of shoes and I found that my Crocs are my shoes of choice for treadling. I have always sewn on my other machines in my stocking feet but that just wouldn't work for me. I also found that the more I treadled the easier it got because the oil worked in.

Have fun. You'll get the hang of it!

Colleen

Last edited by cmrenno; 03-01-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: misspelled words
Old 03-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cmrenno View Post
I am new to treadling and I started out without any thread in the needle and no fabric. I left the presser foot in the up postion and just practiced till I got the feel of treadling. Then I put some fabric under the presser foot and practiced sewing without any thread in the machine. It took me a little time to treadle and keep that fabric going straight. Then I sewed on scrap strips of fabric with thread. Finally I made a pair of potholders with scraps of fabric. Between you and me I am not going to let anyone see these potholders. I am going to save them to see how far I come.

I just finished a small lap quilt that I can proudly say I made and quilted all on the treadle. I am very proud of myself. My husband thinks that I have completely taken leave of my senses because I have several sewing machines and I insist on mastering this treadle sewing machine. But I find it very satisfying.

And I tried several kind of shoes and I found that my Crocs are my shoes of choice for treadling. I have always sewn on my other machines in my stocking feet but that just wouldn't work for me. I also found that the more I treadled the easier it got because the oil worked in.

Have fun. You'll get the hang of it!

Colleen
I put my right foot towards the top of the foot peddle.and the left foot towards the back of the peddle. Then push down with the right foot like working the gas peddle in a car. then use the left foot (toes) to push the peddle back up..so it's right foot then left foot etc. it's really simply just practice till you can treadle with out looking/ Then start learning to sew after you are treadling well.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:46 PM

If your belt is too tight you can slightly dampen it with a barely wet towel while gently treadling. Like tight leather shoes, remember ?

Right foot upper right corner and left foot lower left corner. If there is a lag it may not be the belt but the treadle. Does it clank? It could need adjusting.

When tightening your belt just gently unfasten the link after throwing your belt. Be sure when handling the belt not to have greasy or lotioned hands. Slippage. Keep the belt to the right of the band wheel for easier realigning. Now holding the belt firmly, put it together end to end while it is in place like you would sew. Move the belt ends together and pass them so that you get an idea of how much to trim. Mark with your chalk. Cut. Use your stiletto or belt tool to make your hole, refasten the link using two pairs of pliers or your belt tool. Remember to keep the belt to the right? Ok. Place the belt over the fly wheel and adjust it. Gently and carefully hold the belt against the band wheel and pull the band wheel toward you slowly. The band wheel has a tab that will catch the belt and place it perfectly in line.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:54 PM

Oh, and to prestretch the belt. Hold it and double it. Throw it around your shoulders. Now shrug and stretch. Reach and flex. Sweetly twist it. Not hard. Easy. Use it like a back scratcher. Hope no one is watching you. (smile) Yes, it helps a lot.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:00 PM

I'm reading this with some excitement. My Redeye will back together soon and that base treadles nicely - not as nicely as the New Home I gave away, but much better than my Leader. That one needs something. I'll be back for a refresher in a few weeks.