Old 03-01-2012, 05:28 PM
lawsonmugs
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cmrenno View Post
I am new to treadling and I started out without any thread in the needle and no fabric. I left the presser foot in the up postion and just practiced till I got the feel of treadling. Then I put some fabric under the presser foot and practiced sewing without any thread in the machine. It took me a little time to treadle and keep that fabric going straight. Then I sewed on scrap strips of fabric with thread. Finally I made a pair of potholders with scraps of fabric. Between you and me I am not going to let anyone see these potholders. I am going to save them to see how far I come.

I just finished a small lap quilt that I can proudly say I made and quilted all on the treadle. I am very proud of myself. My husband thinks that I have completely taken leave of my senses because I have several sewing machines and I insist on mastering this treadle sewing machine. But I find it very satisfying.

And I tried several kind of shoes and I found that my Crocs are my shoes of choice for treadling. I have always sewn on my other machines in my stocking feet but that just wouldn't work for me. I also found that the more I treadled the easier it got because the oil worked in.

Have fun. You'll get the hang of it!

Colleen
I put my right foot towards the top of the foot peddle.and the left foot towards the back of the peddle. Then push down with the right foot like working the gas peddle in a car. then use the left foot (toes) to push the peddle back up..so it's right foot then left foot etc. it's really simply just practice till you can treadle with out looking/ Then start learning to sew after you are treadling well.