Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Treadling instructions for beginners

Treadling instructions for beginners

Thanks Shari. My first sewing experience was on a treadle some 60 years ago. I am currently fixing and grooming 3 treadle machines. I do hope that treadling is like riding a bicycle, something you don't forget.
    Sweet Caroline

This is very much how I learned last year. I have not treadled for a couple of weeks and I find I get rusty but after a few starts and stops it comes very easily. I do get frustrated with breaking the thread when I screw up and it goes backwards a bit.
    Lisa

Thanks so much for that link. If I ever am lucky enough to find a treadle I want, (and can make room for), I will be all set!

Pat

Blog Entries
    When I get my Redeye back together, I will be ready for this. My Leader doesn't treadle easily enough.

Blog Entries
    I find it very hard to treadle - I have an old ankle injury on one foot and another old injury (dropped the stove) on the other. I prefer to hand crank. A couple weeks ago, I sewed 3 hats and folded the seams one handed on a hand crank. What ever machine you use takes practice - even the electric...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

What a delightful read! Thanks for posting. I do not have a treadle or even want one, but this tute made me laugh out loud.

Blog Entries
    Arthritis don't let me run my treadle machine too much. Beautiful machine though, Red Eye.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Blog Entries
    thanks for the article. I have bookmarked it. when I get my treadle part of my treadle working, I'll be ready for this.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Thanks for the site Shari. If I ever get the bobbin plate on 'Grandma Alice' I've got instructions on how to sew with her.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    When I get my Redeye back together, I will be ready for this. My Leader doesn't treadle easily enough.
    Have you oiled everything on your treadle stand? Is the belt too short? Just asking as I had these problems when I first got my straight leg Singer irons, I'd missed oiling the treadle plate.
    Sharon W.
    2 Singer red eyes

Thanks for sharing this. I saved it for later. I have an Eldredge treadle but have not sewn on it yet.But I finally got it moved into the sewing room and hope to give it a try soon.

Blog Entries
    seems like it would be easier just to plug it in...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    seems like it would be easier just to plug it in...
    Yes, Miriam. It is so much easier to plug it it. But if you have no power, which happened to me a little over a month ago, one would not have to go through the frustration of not being able to sew.
    Sweet Caroline

Thank you for posting this, I bookmarked it as well. I was given an 1889 Singer 27 about a year ago. She needs some work and I'm now motivated to get it done.

I am a brand new treadler! I was afraid that I would never get the hang of it but right now I am in the middle of a quilt that I will be proud to say I did completely on the treadle!!! I had cleaned and oiled the treadle machine and irons throughly before using it. Just recently I reoiled it with Tri-Flow Sewing machine oil (bought at Sew-Classic.com) and it made a tremendous difference. I think that it is much easier to "peddle" now. I have to say that I am having a great time with my 1915 Singer 15-30.

Blog Entries
    I love the "Party Trick" reference!! I demonstrated my 15 treadle at our guild's quilt show last month, and I got quite a few people who were just fascinated with my party trick!! LOL I love the rhythm of treadling, and the soft sound of the needle going through the fabric and the little clicks the machine makes. It's very soothing and relaxing to me overall. I really enjoy it immensely!!

Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    what great info! I have a singer treadle that keeps calling to me to give her a try! I'm sure that I will one of these days. I'm a little threatened with no manual to help me thread the thing! lol
    Thanks again!
    ​Connie aka Chigger Holler Quilter

Quote Originally Posted by Chigger Holler Quilter View Post
    what great info! I have a singer treadle that keeps calling to me to give her a try! I'm sure that I will one of these days. I'm a little threatened with no manual to help me thread the thing! lol
    Thanks again!
    Connie, what model Singer do you have? Let us know and we can send you to a website for a free downloadable manual for your machine. Gotta get you treadling girl.
    Sweet Caroline

Just some things to look at when you are doing the maintenance on a treadle.

>Start with the treadle plate pivots. Make sure they are clean of old grease, not too loose or too tight. Then grease them.
    >Then take the pitman rod apart at the bottom. In the big nut that fits into the treadle plate I've seen a spring loaded plunger in the bottom. This part allows you to keep tension on the pitman shaft without having to crank it down way too tight. Make sure it's clean and free then grease it.
    Then adjust it so there is no movement between the shaft and plate, but no binding either.
    >Big wheel pivots. Check them as you did the treadle plate. Adjust them so the wheel has some side to side movement, but not too much. Grease them.
    >Big wheel crank bearings. Clean them and grease them.

For the grease I use a high shear chassis lube. Yes it's thick. Yes it's messy if your not careful. Yes, if you use the treadle a lot you'll have to relube it occasionally. It may fly in the face of what you've read, but these points on the treadle mechanism are high friction points. Just oiling them is not enough in my opinion.

My #2 Singer 66 treadle is so easy to treadle I can run it as fast as some of our electric machines. It can be started by foot pressure on the treadle plate most of the time.

My #1 Singer 66 treadle is also easy to treadle, but it wants to stall and you have to coax it with the hand wheel to get it started. I'm working on it. I think it's the pitman shaft area that's the problem.

Joe