View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 11:39 PM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by crafterrn1 View Post
Okay. I understand the concern over the prices of cotton. I really do. But and it is a Big But, if we stop buying fabric then many, many more online and brick and mortar shops will close. I have enough fabric to start my own quilt shop. I really do. But some how I find a few fabrics I just have to have! I also find a few I need for the current project. So yes I purchase what I need at the lowest price I can find. If it is $10.00 or more a yard so be it. It will take a little more saving to purchase my wants and needs. But I am still buying as I want the stores available to me now and in the future! Just my feelings on a very personal matter. Luann in CT
From what I've read people in the NE USA make a lot more money that many other parts of the US. So, for people from your part of the US to pay that much results in a lot fewer sacrifices than someone say, from TX or FL to pay that much for fabric.

I personally feel no obligation to "give my money to a shop to keep it in business". My money, I believe, is mine to keep "my family afloat". After I've met my obligations to my family, then I can hand out my money to anyone I want as I please--whether a foreign charity or local quilt shop. I suppose it all depends on how much you believe in keeping expensive stores (or restaurants) in business in your community. If enough people want it, then it will stay in business, but if not, then it will all head out on line.

Here in Poland, when communism first went by the wayside, everyone thought that in order to make a bunch of money all they needed to do was open up a little store--and of course, charge high retail--no discounts or sales or promotions. Thankfully, over time, little by little, we've been getting discount grocery stores and supermarkets and sales and even some loyalty programs and a few coupons. It has helped us. Yes, many have complained about the demise of the little shops, but since many of the owners knew nothing about free market and keeping customers happy, I say, without too many hard feelings or sorrow.."goodbye".

Not to say that your LQS owner doesn't know how to be nice, etc, but obviously if the local people do not want to spend the money or have enough extra money to spend on expensive fabrics, then the stores will have to go out of business. With the upswing of the internet business, probably courier service would be a great place to invest (at least here in Poland it would be.)