View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 AM
NanaCsews2

Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
Thank you for posting this. It was very informational and I appreciate having the copyright issue clarified. It always aggravated me when I see a design I like but they restrict it's use. It's nice to know what is and isn't true.

So if you buy a pattern you can make quilts from it and sell them even if they say you can't. Because their restrictions aren't legal. They can't restrict your use of the pattern. What you can't do is copy the pattern and sell it.

I was also impressed with how many times they used the Quilting Board as a source of info. that I wasn't expecting! LOL
I agree. Which to me also states that if you see a quilt block you like, and the pattern is 'copyrighted' we are allowed to create our own way of making that quilt block, and then copyrighted that, correct? As an example, a member here created a pattern for a quilt block that was shown on a quilt, and then put a 'copyright' on it. What is copyrighted is the way she made that block, as the block was already in use, and 'copyrighted' according to the article. So I can take that block, go into EQ7, create my own way to create that block, and then put my own copyright on it?