View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 07:04 AM
NJ Quilter

I do both in and out of the hoop. Not sure I could get used to a frame having to sit in one spot for any extended period. I usually pin baste but if it's really big, like a king, I thread baste just to cut down on some of the weight. In either case I secure the layers about a hand-width apart in all directions. As others have said, if you're using a hoop, make sure your sandwich is quite loose - much, much easier to quilt that way. You can also use whatever needles work for you - they don't have to be 'betweens' although as you get more proficient, you'll probably find that you have more control with the shorter needle. Betweens are a bit stronger than the longer needles as well and don't bend as much. It will take some time, but just find a combination of elements that work for you - in/out of the hoop; type needle; with/without a thimble; type of thimble; all kinds of variations. If you can, only change one element each time you quilt so you learn with combination of elements work best for you.