Old 03-09-2012, 08:12 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost View Post
The Quilt Police should remember that not everyone wants to enter a judged show and be criticized for every little thing. Most of us quilt for pleasure!
Hmmmm, a comment like this makes me think you have never entered a judged quilt show, most likely because you believe your own falsehoods. Judges comments are not meant to "criticize every little thing" they are meant to give you food for thought on where you can seek improvement in your quilting skills. Even if you only quilt for pleasure there is always room for improvement. I feel sorry for anyone who isn't able to take constructive criticism and turn it into a valuable learning tool that it is usually meant to be. Unsubstantiated comments like this make people fear to enter a quilt show and that is a shame.

Here is an example of the comments I received at a show I entered last year:
"What an explosion of color and value, Chevron border effectively frames the action, Generally very good piecing technique, some unsecured seams and chopped points noted, Generally good quilting technique, tails should be trimmed, quilting designs are effectively placed, Bindings are secure however edges should run straight."

So if you view that is being criticized for every single little thing, that is very sad.

Regarding the OP's original question on binding techniques, there is Sharon Schambers method using elmers schoold glue. BTW Sharon is a major AWARD Winning quilter and does her binding my machine for those posters who defend machine binding by saying they "don't enter shows". There is no shame in machine binding but many simply do not like the look.

Another effective machine binding method I have used is utilzing a decorative stitch on my machine. I sew the binding to the back or bring the backing round to the front and stitch it in place on the front using a decorative stitch placed right on the edge of the binding, actually using the decorative stitch to bury the edge of the binding strip.

However my preferred method is by hand. I just like the look of that the best.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 03-09-2012 at 08:17 AM.