View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 06:57 AM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Well, warmth is a consideration, and we do like heavier quilts. I was wondering if the rag part would be fluffier. I was also hoping flannel would drape softer than batting - I have a flannel top-batting-flannel back quilt that is wonderful, but I wish it was a little less stiff. Maybe I used the wrong kind of batting, it was one of the first quilts I ever made.
You do get more ragging with 3 layers of flannel, and you have the opportunity to add another color in the ragging if you want. It is a soft quilt as well. But I've never made one with batting, only with 2 or 3 layers of flannel, so I can't compare the two, except to say that it seems to me that using batting is a lot more work than just the 3 layers of flannel, since you have to do some quilting on top to keep the batting in place, and you have to layer the batting "just so" in order to keep it just at the edges of the stitching. (If you use the 3 layers of flannel you don't have to quilt it with the traditional "x" since there's nothing to shift around inside the quilt.)