Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rag quilt: batting vs flannel >

rag quilt: batting vs flannel

rag quilt: batting vs flannel

Old 03-10-2012, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
You do get more ragging with 3 layers of flannel, and you have the opportunity to add another color in the ragging if you want. It is a soft quilt as well. But I've never made one with batting, only with 2 or 3 layers of flannel, so I can't compare the two, except to say that it seems to me that using batting is a lot more work than just the 3 layers of flannel, since you have to do some quilting on top to keep the batting in place, and you have to layer the batting "just so" in order to keep it just at the edges of the stitching. (If you use the 3 layers of flannel you don't have to quilt it with the traditional "x" since there's nothing to shift around inside the quilt.)
Good point Dunster! When I made mine, I didn't want to have to mess with the batting squares and I used 2 different colors of flannel and a layer of cotton. I liked how the ragged part looks variagated. I didn't sew the X either!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I have a rag quilt on my bucket list. I've already made one with batting, and I know I can substitute flannel for the batting. Here's my question: has anyone used more than one layer of flannel for the batting?
In the past you could purchase cheap flannel at the Walmart. I loved that flannel for one purpose only and it was to put a couple layers in the middle of rag quitls. I loved the way they ragged and even though the flannel was cheap they were very warm. I did use nice flannel for the top and bottom, the cheap was only in the middle layers.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:14 AM

Wouldn't all that flannel be more expensive then buying high loft batting/ I may have the name wrong but I have seen a couple of long arm quilters comment on how they made the quilting fluffy...Hope to help
Old 03-10-2012, 05:12 PM

auntpiggy - thanks for the pic of your Michigan quilt - it looks great!

april - thanks for the info about clipping, that helps.

dunster - I hadn't thought about not having to quilt the X, that's a good point!

Rachel - the fluffy look I want isn't in the quilting, but the raggy edges. And I'm not too worried about the cost of the flannel, I picked up some flannel king sheets from Target that were clearance, I think I paid $4 for the whole set. Can't beat that with a stick.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in! I'll post a pic when I get it done.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:14 PM

I use batting in the center because of the cost for flannel... BUT.... when i sew the two squares together, i slip in a strip or two of 1.25" flannel pcs..... I have done one extra, but prefer 2 or 3 different colors, both from themselves and from top and bottom squares... this makes it look like there are lots of layers and after the 'ravel' wash and trimming, you have lots more personality to your edges without all the cost.... one of my faves was a navy poly silk jacket with the navy on both top and bottom but each set of squares had either daisy yellow, grass green or candy pink inserted in the seam.... the little touches of color really made the jacket... it was one of those simple 'graph paper' kind of pattern where every pc was made of squares... i think i took it from a crocheted, afghan version of a jacket and just counted squares.... it's been a long time...
Old 03-10-2012, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
auntpiggy - thanks for the pic of your Michigan quilt - it looks great!

april - thanks for the info about clipping, that helps.

dunster - I hadn't thought about not having to quilt the X, that's a good point!

Rachel - the fluffy look I want isn't in the quilting, but the raggy edges. And I'm not too worried about the cost of the flannel, I picked up some flannel king sheets from Target that were clearance, I think I paid $4 for the whole set. Can't beat that with a stick.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in! I'll post a pic when I get it done.
Can't wait to see it!!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
I use batting in the center because of the cost for flannel... BUT.... when i sew the two squares together, i slip in a strip or two of 1.25" flannel pcs
Oooh, this is a fabulous idea! Thank you!