View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 01:03 AM
chuckbere15

Maybe you local quilt shop could fix you up with a new found friend who would be willing to show you how to prepare for the quilting process. There are some steps and/or tricks that you need to learn in what ever method you choose. For example, if you ever send out a quilt top to be quilted by a long arm quilter, your batting and backing should be 4" bigger on all sides as the quilting process could eat up an inch or so depending on the amount of quilting.

My first quilts my mom taught me the flip over from the back to finish them. The way mom taught me was if you wanted a 2" binding you need 4" of material from the back as you would double the binding. Also, with this method make sure that you put the cutting mat between the backing and batting when squaring up the top and batting otherwise you will cut the backing off. Ask me how I learned this lesson. When making a quilt that will be used and abused with love, I recommend folding over from the back method or machine sewing the binding. If the quilt is going to be a heirloom quilt you should always use binding sewn on the front and then hand sew on the back. I still have not done that yet, but in the near future I will have to learn how to hand sew binding.

Basting the quilt top, batting, and backing is extremely important. If you are going to pin, you need to place a pin every 3 to 4 inches apart. I can't help you with hand basting with a tread and needle as I never have done that. If you choose to spray baste, I would recommend outside if possiable. If spray basting indoors you need to be extra careful and cover everything near where you are working as the over spray will stick everywhere. Also, make sure you have plenty of ventilation as the fumes will over power you. Another thing I learned, the hard way, is that spray basting requires very little; a little goes a long way is a good rule to remember. If you spray a lot, it make the fabric pucker and you will get puckers. Again, ask me how I learned that lesson. I also used pins every 15" or so to make sure things didn't shift.
also, quilt from the center and work your way out if doing by hand or domestic machine. Long arms have their own set of guidelines.

I would search YouTube for tutorials as there is a vast amount of help from videos. By the look of things you are going to be a pro in no time at all. Good job!