View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Last time I took my well-functioning Bernina 1230 to the shop for yearly maintenance was well over 12 years ago. At that time the charge was over $100 and I'm not convinced the tech did anything at all to it. I noticed after I got it back that he had not reset the upper tension back to the factory setting (which I had changed in order to do some specialized sewing) in order to test stitches. That's when I decided I would just keep the machine very clean myself and take it in only if it malfunctioned. Well, it hasn't malfunctioned, and I figure that in the 12 years since then I have accummulated at least $1,200 towards a new machine if this one ever gives out. (Note: I do have vintage machines I can use as backup if this one ever gives out.)

I can understand taking a machine in if it has a problem, but I no longer believe in taking it in for cleaning and preventive maintenance. I do clean my machine frequently and well, never allowing lint to build up, and keeping the shuttle race lightly oiled between bobbins. Worth $1,200 to me!!!

Last edited by Prism99; 03-14-2012 at 10:25 AM.