View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 06:18 AM
onaemtnest

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Last time I took my well-functioning Bernina 1230 to the shop for yearly maintenance was well over 12 years ago. At that time the charge was over $100 and I'm not convinced the tech did anything at all to it. I noticed after I got it back that he had not reset the upper tension back to the factory setting (which I had changed in order to do some specialized sewing) in order to test stitches. That's when I decided I would just keep the machine very clean myself and take it in only if it malfunctioned. Well, it hasn't malfunctioned, and I figure that in the 12 years since then I have accummulated at least $1,200 towards a new machine if this one ever gives out. (Note: I do have vintage machines I can use as backup if this one ever gives out.)

I can understand taking a machine in if it has a problem, but I no longer believe in taking it in for cleaning and preventive maintenance. I do clean my machine frequently and well, never allowing lint to build up, and keeping the shuttle race lightly oiled between bobbins. Worth $1,200 to me!!!
I agree with you Prism99. My experience is I have Husqvarna Viking 1+ purchased new by me over 20 years ago. I bought it before I even knew how to sew as I knew once retired I wanted to learn how to quilt and I would not have the $$$ to purchase such a wonderful machine when funds were limited...so it sat well over half of those years unused.

Fast Track six years ago I started using the machine sporadically making a quilt or two per year. I decided that I should take it in and get it cleaned and serviced last year. I told them at the Viking dealer that if it should cost more than $100 that they needed to call me and wrote that on the invoice. Surprise, surprise....a call came in that the Mother Board was about to go to quilt heaven and the 'deal' was $500 +labor+ the servicing charges to put the machine in workable order??????????? Wait a minute it was working just fine now there's a problem? I said put her back together and I'll come get her, I cannot afford that kind of expense. When they were going to charge for the 'service and cleaning' DH said let me take a look and the bobbin case had some lint in it and he said, "Not going to do it, if during the cleaning you 'forgot the bobbin case?????"....so walked out with the machine with no charges.

Found information including schematics online on how to service this machine and DH thoroughly cleaned it. I always clean the machine anyway with every project and when working with linty flannels etc I clean sometimes during the project....BTW 1 year later, Motherboard is fine, machine is fine and I will never darken the doorway of this Viking Authorized Dealer again.

So I guess second opinions are always in order and setting limits on how much I'm willing to spend or can afford at the time of service is essential.

I AGREE that non-computerized QUALITY machines are preferential IMHO.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 03-15-2012 at 06:20 AM.