View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 07:48 AM
DogHouseMom

I've finished setting the remaining blades - pic of my star below. As for the outer setting pieces, I think I've decided ... not to decide!!

I'm going to leave this star as is for now. I'm going to "ignore" the Grandma's compass in the current set of blocks as it seems to be incorrect AGAIN. The next instructions to come out will be setting instructions for this quarter of the quilt. I *think* the quilt is going to end up with 4 center 15" blocks with the other blocks surrounding it. I'll wait and see ... if it's the case, I might decide on a different center, I might decide that stars with the black backing might look good, I might decide not to make any stars at all and just make a "sampler" from all the other pieces ... I'm going to leave it open.

I had been losing confidence in the project before I started this star, and my error with the feathers is just a good reason to play "wait and see" with the remainder of the project. Technically, it's not a perfect star, but it's good - very good. It lays flat, most of my points meet and those that don't are not off by much. I'm quite happy with it except for the fact that I screwed up the direction of the feathers. I'll just sit on it for now and I'll use it someday, if not in this quilt then in another.

I'm going to go quilt the project that I finished piecing before I started this whole mess.
Attached Thumbnails feathered-star-resized.jpg