Thread: Really Scary
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 08:55 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
Thankyou! I've been asking about this for a while - how do you know you've got the right height table - and this is the first practical answer I've seen. Just what I needed to know (and my table IS too high, so Ikea here I come!)
Most table heights are good IF you are sewing with a machine that is set into the table. If you're sewing with a portable on top of the table, then it's another 3" or 4" or more higher and so comes the discomfort.

Try this as you sit there now. Your arms/hands are wherever they are to reach the keyboard. Pretend that your keyboard is up higher, and move your hands/arms upwards to that level. See how your shoulders rise and tense. OUCH! Same ergonomics in choosing office furniture as for sewing. And same thing when you consider table height for cutting ..... traditional tables are too low, unless you happen to be quite short! Bed risers come to the rescue!

Remember the old side table for "typewriters", that were lower than the desk? They'd be a better height for most people using portable sewing machines than on top of a traditional table. ... and if you could find one of those, could save $$!! Or shorten the legs of a desk or table that you already have. I have an architects chair which is adjustable like an office chair, except it's lowest is the highest of a desk chair .... works for me, even with a set-in machine.