Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Really Scary >

Really Scary

Really Scary

Old 03-18-2012, 06:19 AM

Wedig, I'm glad you liked it. I figured anytime someone does a way of doing feathers that I mightn't be afraid of trying then someone else might want to try it too.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
One thing that I found that helped .... raised my chair up higher, so that my hands/arms were more ergonomically positioned on the quilt/table. They should come down naturally from your shoulder, bend at the elbow and onto the table. If you're lifting your shoulders for your hand/arm placement your shoulders will tense and tire a lot faster .... and you'll not relax to do the quilting. ENJOY!!!!!
I'll see if that's the problem --- thanks for the advice!!
Old 03-18-2012, 04:11 PM

I just looked at a quilt with stippling and put the quilt on my frame and followed what I thought the stitch looked like. I didn't like it but my DDIL thought it was lovely.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:16 PM

stippling is really harder than many other designs for all over do a meander, or some loops are easy good luck
Old 03-18-2012, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
One thing that I found that helped .... raised my chair up higher, so that my hands/arms were more ergonomically positioned on the quilt/table. They should come down naturally from your shoulder, bend at the elbow and onto the table. If you're lifting your shoulders for your hand/arm placement your shoulders will tense and tire a lot faster .... and you'll not relax to do the quilting. ENJOY!!!!!
Thankyou! I've been asking about this for a while - how do you know you've got the right height table - and this is the first practical answer I've seen. Just what I needed to know (and my table IS too high, so Ikea here I come!)
Old 03-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
Thankyou! I've been asking about this for a while - how do you know you've got the right height table - and this is the first practical answer I've seen. Just what I needed to know (and my table IS too high, so Ikea here I come!)
Most table heights are good IF you are sewing with a machine that is set into the table. If you're sewing with a portable on top of the table, then it's another 3" or 4" or more higher and so comes the discomfort.

Try this as you sit there now. Your arms/hands are wherever they are to reach the keyboard. Pretend that your keyboard is up higher, and move your hands/arms upwards to that level. See how your shoulders rise and tense. OUCH! Same ergonomics in choosing office furniture as for sewing. And same thing when you consider table height for cutting ..... traditional tables are too low, unless you happen to be quite short! Bed risers come to the rescue!

Remember the old side table for "typewriters", that were lower than the desk? They'd be a better height for most people using portable sewing machines than on top of a traditional table. ... and if you could find one of those, could save $$!! Or shorten the legs of a desk or table that you already have. I have an architects chair which is adjustable like an office chair, except it's lowest is the highest of a desk chair .... works for me, even with a set-in machine.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 AM

I hear you sister!! I'm not great at FMQ either. But like you I can't afford to have my projects quilted. My friend says "If you can't notice mistakes when you ride by on a galloping horse, then your good to go", lol. I must say this thread is loaded with suggestions. I must try doodling first. that may help.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

Try not to be too critical of yourself. Others are right wash and dry it after it finished and you won't notice a lot of things you noticed before. Others are very seldom as critical as you. Just keep practicing.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:11 AM

Got my dry erase board yesterday. Now......feathers, feathers, feathers......I AM going to be able to do them with confidence soon!!! YES I AM......