View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 08:23 AM
sewelegant

Wink Supporting our LQS

I am a beginning quilter, having only finished 1 quilt top so far. We just got our LQS about 6 months ago. I've taken 1 class there, and am now having my top LA'd there. Am taking another class next week, so went in to purchase my list of supplies. The owner helped me choose fabrics. He stated "now let's take our time & make sure you have exactly what you want". I needed 5 fabrics, plus background & border. He spent over an hour with me, with both of us pulling fabrics out to see what combo I wanted. My total purchase? $50.53 for 5.75 yds of fabric (Moda Butterscotch & Roses & others that coordinated).

I really doubt that I could've bought this fabric online any cheaper, figuring in the shipping costs. And I wouldn't have had the assistance the owner gave me. I mentioned to him that I loved shopping in his store vs online. He stated that online is killing the LQS. They can't compete because of overhead. But I can't see true color on my monitor, can you? Can you tell if three fabrics are going to blend perfectly, or be a total eye-sore?

Guess this is just an appeal to shop your LQS. At least give them a chance to survive. Could I live without mine? Sure, have for 60 yrs. But do I want to? No!

Pat