View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM
CorgiNole

I fall somewhere in the middle in the attribution game.

I do believe that the long-arm quilter, or whomever has been paid to quilt the quilt if that was done, needs to be recognized. As can be read in countless posts, there are many varieties in skill level of quilters, and the quilter can make a huge artistic difference to the pieced top.

I'm not as set on if a person is paid to bind a quilt that they become part of the "group" though in a technical sense, I suppose that makes sense. However, I think it takes less skill to sew a binding on correctly than it does to FMQ a large quilt top, so I'm less concerned about that.

As to sharing prize money. I think that should be spelled out in the "purchase" agreement when a quilt is sent off to be quilted - and I lean towards, if I pay you to quilt my top, then I'm not sharing prize money as I've already paid you. If, on the other hand, the quilt is done collaboratively and no money changes hands prior to it being entered, then sharing the prize money is the right thing to do.

I don't have a problem with quilts being shared online as they are being constructed. However, if a show's rules state that the quilt should not have been shown before, then it needs to be honored as such. I do blog about my works in progress (though hockey season ate this quilter's free time, so I have neither quilted nor blogged much recently).

Cheers, K