View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 06:41 AM
SandyQuilter

I used to judge needlework shows and kits were used a great deal. So how to choose the best? 1. Quality of work 2. Selection of a well designed kit 3. Framing/finished choices that fit the design.

The same type of judging should go into quilt judging, of which I've done a fair amount. Used to judge a LARGE county fair with 300+ quilts by myself. One quilt was covered with animal hair--I mean covered! Declined to judge it, with a notation on the entry card that said, "I don't judge cat hair." I then opened the card up and discovered the maker's name. A very recognizable name!. Shame on her, she should have known better.

But to judge any kind of competition, the judge must be fair and consider the quality of the work from composition, color, overall appearance (for instance, do the borders/binding wave or are they flat and square), techniques used appropriately and quality of workmanship. It's not an easy judge to be impartial, but it is also very rewarding. Don't forget, a judge can recognize a friend's quilt in the competition. In that instance, she should do one of two things, disqualify herself from judging that category OR be impartial--and, yes, it is possible.
SandyQuilter