View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 11:40 AM
treasurelady

The subject of giving quilts has come up in this forum many times over the last several years. Many good points have been made on this subject in this post. Consider how many gifts people receive in their lives. Like wedding gifts. Haven't we all received gifts we really had no use for, didn't like, didn't want to maintain, didn't match our chosen decor? When a quilt is given it is far likelier to end up being used by every member of the family, including the dog. They wrap up on the sofa, eating greasy popcorn while watching the game or a movie, spilling soda (or worse, grape koolaid) on it, wiping up a spill, being drug around by the 3 year old, and almost any other use imaginable or unimaginable. The impulse to give a quilt comes from a place very deep in our hearts, it's giving of something we cannot get back, our time, our creativity. We must realize that others don't have a real understanding of what the true cost of a quilt is. Giving a gift to someone , even a gift as precious as a quilt, does not entitle us to expect that a year from now it will remain as pristine as when we give it. I'm repairing a quilt right now, made by my niece-in-law's great grandmother. It's a sweet Grandmother's flower garden quilt, made back in the 40's by hand, not one machine stitch. It was damaged by my philistine nephew who was smoking while using the quilt. Neither he nor she really understand the value of the quilt, especially the value of "family" which it represents. However, it's been around all her life and she wants a "patch" put on it, not requesting me to try to match the fabrics or make it really look good. I'm trying to make the patch as undetectable as possible. I'm doing it 'cause I appreciate the quilt. One day maybe they'll understand.