Old 04-02-2012, 04:33 AM
Stitch124

Default Singer 403A - sewing slow - any suggestions to speed it up?

Hi - I just acquired Singer 403A from an estate sale just like the one Mom used to have that I learned to sew on. It has the most beautiful stitches, it just runs slow. I took the foot pedal apart and checked the connection to make sure it was working. Oiled the machine and still it stitches slow, kinda like it's trying to pick up speed but doesn't ever really get going.

Does anyone have any suggestions. It looks like it was well loved and used...the paint on the hand wheel is gone, but the machine is in great shape. It came in the original cabinet with all the cams, attachments and owner's manual. There a second set of cams in a white plastic case with a orange plastic cover. These cams are black and about 1/2 the size of the 403A cams. Not sure what they are or if they actually belong with this machine.

Also, the cabinet has a lever that is used to sew using the right leg by pushing against the lever. It's really difficult to do this as the lever seems to be wobbly and has to be pushed really hard to get it to work...but it does work.

Really want to get this baby back in tip-top shape. Any suggestions to fix the slow sewing would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Julie

P.S. Also have Kenmore 1802 (1972) and my first sewing machine, a Featherweight 221 ("Birdie" - 1964) to round out my collection...both work like brand new.