Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 403A - sewing slow -  any suggestions to speed it up? >

Singer 403A - sewing slow - any suggestions to speed it up?

Singer 403A - sewing slow - any suggestions to speed it up?

Old 04-03-2012, 05:21 AM

Default It's working!!!

Hi - thanks for the advice. I got this baby purring like a kitten last night after I oiled all the moving parts and let her run for 10 or 15 mins. She's like brand new...a few scuffs...but no worse for the wear.

I wonder if she will fit into the beautiful Singer treadle sewing cabinet I have? Then I can move my Kenmore 1802 into this cabinet. Then both will be in their own little homes.

Can't wait to get to sew on her.
Attached Thumbnails dsc03252.jpg   dsc03253.jpg   dsc03254.jpg  
Old 04-03-2012, 07:14 AM

Joe -- can you take a pic of how you attached the piece of rubber hose on it to give it the pressure to push more on the controller? Thanks, Julie
Old 04-03-2012, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by tenngal View Post
If you need any more attachments, I have a few along with some help from the lady I bought them from.
Yes -- I would like more attachments.... let me inventory what I have and let you know what I still need. Thanks so much. - Julie
Old 04-03-2012, 07:24 AM

Good to hear it was just an lubrication issue! Have fun with it!

Shari
Old 04-04-2012, 06:48 AM

If you're sure the problem is in the pedal or the knee control, please ignore this post.

I acquired a vintage machine that sewed slow and felt odd to me. The only explanation I can give is that it felt "tight." Once opened, cleaned, and oiled, I got a really bright light into its innards and discovered black thread wound around various places in the head. I would dearly love to know how that happened. I didn't even know thread got into some of those places! After several hours of unwinding and muttering, the machine's speed and feel are right.

The tools I used were a really bright, focused light, several different long handled tweezers, a surgical seam ripper (cut what threads I could), my oil can with a very, very long "nose" that can be pulled out and pushed back into the body of the can, and don't forget that muttering.

I hope your problem is as simple as mine. I really like simple problems.

Pat
Old 04-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by w1613s View Post
If you're sure the problem is in the pedal or the knee control, please ignore this post.

I acquired a vintage machine that sewed slow and felt odd to me. The only explanation I can give is that it felt "tight." Once opened, cleaned, and oiled, I got a really bright light into its innards and discovered black thread wound around various places in the head. I would dearly love to know how that happened. I didn't even know thread got into some of those places! After several hours of unwinding and muttering, the machine's speed and feel are right.

The tools I used were a really bright, focused light, several different long handled tweezers, a surgical seam ripper (cut what threads I could), my oil can with a very, very long "nose" that can be pulled out and pushed back into the body of the can, and don't forget that muttering.

I hope your problem is as simple as mine. I really like simple problems.

Pat
I have one that was taken by the previous owner to a repair shop. They told the lady it couldn't be repaired because it has plastic parts. Me being nosy, opened it up and all it had wrong was a bobbin got loose down there and got tangled in the drive belt - VERY tangled. I freed it up and it runs great.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 AM

I actually bought this machine at first with the intentions of keeping it because it is just like the one my mom had. Then my friend told me she needed a machine, because the repairman told her that her machines wasn't worth fixing either. A couple days later, he had the nerve to call her and ask for the Owner's Manual...probably because he had fixed it and wanted to sell it with the original manual. I offered her to buy the one I had, we oiled it and I cleaned it up but it was still running sluggish. She decided she didn't want it. The next night my DH and I got our heads together and decided to do a major clean and overhaul and oil everything that moved. It works like a dream now. So I have a beautiful new machine and it's quieter than the Kenmore 1802 that I've been sewing on since 1971. Hoping maybe I can fit the Singer into my Singer treadle cabinet. Do Singers have a standard size footprint?