Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slow speed foot pedal >

Slow speed foot pedal

Slow speed foot pedal

Old 06-01-2016, 01:16 PM

Arrow Slow speed foot pedal

I have a beginner sewing machine works well. How do I slow down the speed of the machine pedal. It's very fast and I can't keep up when I want to slow down for a bit more intricate work? Please help. Thank You
Old 06-01-2016, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Check your manual!
Old 06-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

On my old machine that didn't have speed control, I had a foot pedal where I could block off how far I could press down on it. Is there anywhere you can block off your foot by taping an eraser or piece of wood to the edge?
Old 06-01-2016, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Check your manual!
That reminds me of the car forums I post on. They have an acronym "RTOM". It took me a while to figure out it meant "Read The Owner's Manual".
Old 06-01-2016, 03:17 PM

All foot pedals that I have used can be pushed just a little bit for slow, or pushed down hard for fast. It's an art to learn how to be soft or hard. Now, on the other hand, I have one that wants to stick wide open. You should see me trying to dive under the machine and pull the button up. "laughing" It's probably about time for a new one.

Seriously, some machines have a speed setting on them. We can't possibly help you if we don't know your make and model. And, even then.....you still need to read your manual if you have it. If you don't have one, most manufacturers of machines do have websites where you can read and/or download the manual for free.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:04 PM

I duck taped a little wedge so the speed pedal could only go partway down on my old Singer Genie. Worked well for me. You can either use wood shims or some of the mini post-its (1x2"). But it really depends on how your speed pedal is designed. I know my new Bernina doesn't have a gap between the top & the bottom that's accessible from the outer edge so it wouldn't work for that. Might help if you post a pic (or at least the name of your machine) so we could give more targeted advice.

The one thing that should work regardless of your machine is to make a similarly shaped/height wedge for your left foot. Putting your body in balance will help you have more control over how much pressure you're putting on the pedal.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
That reminds me of the car forums I post on. They have an acronym "RTOM". It took me a while to figure out it meant "Read The Owner's Manual".
My husband worked in an industry where people just assumed you pushed buttons and the machine would work properly. They would call him for support when - surprise surprise! - it wouldn't. His department called it "RTFM". I'm sure you can figure it out....
Old 06-01-2016, 04:28 PM

Some foot controls are better than others. If it's an inexpensive machine, you probably don't have control of it. If you wanted to get inside the foot control, you may find a "potentiometer" to adjust. If the foot control says, "Electronic" on the top, it's got an adjustment inside. If it's the white metal thing, they're harder to adjust. Just don't touch anything inside while it's plugged in. :-) If it's got the small round post type foot control, take it back to where you got it and ask if they can adjust it for you.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:25 PM

If you are right handed you can try using your left foot. I switch off feet when I am sewing to help with my sciatica. I have noticed I don't tend to push the foot pedal down as hard and can go slower.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

I also am right handed but I use my left foot on the petal. On my mechanical Bernina, I have two speeds I can set. On my computerized Bernina, I don't have that selection.