View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 03:11 AM
Somerset Val

Default Log cabin

Originally Posted by piepatch View Post
Needing information on the Eleanor Burns Log Cabin quilt from anyone who has made it. I had some E B instructions long ago, but I think she has revised them in recent years (not sure). I have heard her version is a good one, and would like to hear from someone who has made it. For that matter, I would like to hear from anyone who has made ANY Log Cabin quilt, and what you have to say about your method. Do you cut your strips to size, or cut long strips and sew and cut? Thanks so much.
I am addicted to log cabin and use it for all my quilts! There are so many variations that they all look completely different. I always use foundation piecing so don't cut the strips to the exact length - and I always add an extra 1/4 inch to the width, trimming with an 'add a 1/4' ruler after stitching each strip. This method does take a little longer but it's well worth it for the accuracy it produces. Also, I always cut the strips on the lengthwise grain so that there is no stretch - if you cut across the width of the fabric, the strips are not nearly as stable. Hope this helps!