Old 04-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Rose_P

That stunning machine makes me want to take a painting class more than it makes me want to use hoops, but really those hoops are kind of special. They don't actually clamp the fabric at all. They just control it a little so that it can easily move in every direction, and then they simply scoot over to the next area where you need them to be. I'd have to try it to be convinced, and I'm not ready to spend any more money (or learning curve!) on a new technique right now. I believe it would surely be easier on a machine with a large table like the one she's using.

The odd thing about her use of those hoops on that machine is that they do seem to have a tendency to scrape the machine bed a bit. Since she painted the machine herself, that might not bother her too much, but it would cause me a bit of consternation. I wonder if she gave it several coats of polyurethane or what.

In 1966 my parents bought me my first sewing machine as a gift, and I'll never forget the machine embroidery demonstration that was done for me by the owner of the shop. This was a basic zig-zag machine, and he used a hoop while manipulating the stitch-width knob to make a satin stitch rose. He made it look wonderfully easy, but when I tried it, it seemed like the little trick where you're supposed to pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time. It has to be easier the way it's being done in this demo, with both the length and the width of each stitch managed by moving the hoop. It's going on my "someday maybe" list.