Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: this is really interesting...has anyone ever tried this...no foot when quilting?

Blog Entries

this is really interesting...has anyone ever tried this...no foot when quilting?

Blog Entries
    I wish I could afford these hoops. I am starting my Christmas list now. I have always wanted to do some of the embroidery but would not do enough to warrant a machine. Thanks for the link
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Interesting. I can't afford an embrodery machine!

Without a foot it is easy to get you finger, Be careful

She keeps saying "embroidering", not quilting. There is no way I could quilt in an area that small and keep needing to re-hoop...there would be no continuity to the quilting. Using a hopping foot totally eliminates the drag created by the regular feet, but protects your fingers more, so what is the difference??

she used a regular machine but what is the name of her website where you can get the hoops?

Does anyone know where these hoops can be purchased at. i really like them got to have.

looks interesting. One of my machines is a super high shank and I can't find a darning foot that will fit. I have some fabric grip hoops that are similar to these and I'm going to try this.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Very interesting, but $90 for the set -- wow!!

Hate to say it -- I was a bit distracted by the machine -- has anyone else put a skin on their sewing machine?? I thought that could be fun.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

That is fascinating. Going to watch again. And I am going to check out those hoops. Ah, more quilting tools. I was also fascinated by the covering on her sewing machine. Hmmmm.
    Sweet Caroline

The site is www.creativefeet.com

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

thank you - it is interesting and she has some really interesting presser feet also - the hoops sound reall good too - seems she has desigined some of her stuff for handicapped people to use on a regular sewing machine.

I found the website for the hoops and "package" mentioned in the you tube video. $109.00 Hmmmm.

http://www.creativefeet.com/products/frames/octi-hoop
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

I hope some of you give these hoops a try and let us know how they work. Since I have an embroidery machine I can't really justify buying these. However, perhaps I could be convinced. They look like fun.

Senior Member such a sew and sew's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've met her at the shows. Her machine is painted. She paints them. The hoops are great for thread painting too.
    Song: "Keep your eyes on the prize."

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Thank you, thank you. The minute I heard her (in another one of her videos) say, "Do not drop your feed dogs" I wanted to learn more. Free motion has been very hard for me. After watching a couple of her demos I'm ready to try again with a lot more confidence. Best Free motion instructions I've seen. I'm loving her information.

That stunning machine makes me want to take a painting class more than it makes me want to use hoops, but really those hoops are kind of special. They don't actually clamp the fabric at all. They just control it a little so that it can easily move in every direction, and then they simply scoot over to the next area where you need them to be. I'd have to try it to be convinced, and I'm not ready to spend any more money (or learning curve!) on a new technique right now. I believe it would surely be easier on a machine with a large table like the one she's using.

The odd thing about her use of those hoops on that machine is that they do seem to have a tendency to scrape the machine bed a bit. Since she painted the machine herself, that might not bother her too much, but it would cause me a bit of consternation. I wonder if she gave it several coats of polyurethane or what.

In 1966 my parents bought me my first sewing machine as a gift, and I'll never forget the machine embroidery demonstration that was done for me by the owner of the shop. This was a basic zig-zag machine, and he used a hoop while manipulating the stitch-width knob to make a satin stitch rose. He made it look wonderfully easy, but when I tried it, it seemed like the little trick where you're supposed to pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time. It has to be easier the way it's being done in this demo, with both the length and the width of each stitch managed by moving the hoop. It's going on my "someday maybe" list.

Blog Entries
    I used to embroider on my kids clothes back a "hundred" years ago before there was such a thing as an embroidery machine. I used a regular wooden hoop with the fabric laying flat against the machine. I used coloring books and traced onto my fabric and then did "free-motion" embroidery with no foot. There wasn't even such a thing as stabilizer then, so I used soft interfacing.

As far as the painted machine, I find that too distracting. I like my white machine better.

That is awesome, now I need to find out where to purchase the hoops and a name would be helpful. If anybody know will they please post. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for sharing that. Learn something new everyday.

For $109.00 I think I will try using a hoop instead. I can't see paying that much for these. oh well my opinion.If anyone else trys these please post how you like them and your work.
    Bring Your Conscious awareness to the source of loving and Caring

Banned
    Blog Entries
    this is exactly why people get confused...wrong terminology! She is NOT doing free motion quilting.,.she is doing embroidery..or Thread play!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    this is exactly why people get confused...wrong terminology! She is NOT doing free motion quilting.,.she is doing embroidery..or Thread play!

you learn to do this with NO hoops either...just google "thread play" and read up on it, or watch a video...Debbie Hartman, Libby Lehman, they all do thread play like this, on a regular machine and NO hoops!

I have a machine that looks like that one- a Brother NX 2000. I love the table. I have just tried fmq with some practice sandwiches and see where the learning curve is high. It was fun though. I'm interested in trying a hoop but hesitant to spend the money. I think I'm going to keep practicing and taking some Craftsy classes I've purchased.

I think I would be distracted by that machine. It looks good though.

I've watched her at a quilt show and am mesmerized by her method but haven't invested yet! Let me know if anyone purchases and uses it!
    Linda

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast