Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
this is really interesting...has anyone ever tried this...no foot when quilting? >

this is really interesting...has anyone ever tried this...no foot when quilting?

this is really interesting...has anyone ever tried this...no foot when quilting?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:44 AM

For $109.00 I think I will try using a hoop instead. I can't see paying that much for these. oh well my opinion.If anyone else trys these please post how you like them and your work.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Banned

this is exactly why people get confused...wrong terminology! She is NOT doing free motion quilting.,.she is doing embroidery..or Thread play!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
this is exactly why people get confused...wrong terminology! She is NOT doing free motion quilting.,.she is doing embroidery..or Thread play!

you learn to do this with NO hoops either...just google "thread play" and read up on it, or watch a video...Debbie Hartman, Libby Lehman, they all do thread play like this, on a regular machine and NO hoops!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:51 AM

I have a machine that looks like that one- a Brother NX 2000. I love the table. I have just tried fmq with some practice sandwiches and see where the learning curve is high. It was fun though. I'm interested in trying a hoop but hesitant to spend the money. I think I'm going to keep practicing and taking some Craftsy classes I've purchased.

I think I would be distracted by that machine. It looks good though.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:53 AM

I've watched her at a quilt show and am mesmerized by her method but haven't invested yet! Let me know if anyone purchases and uses it!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:58 AM

I did try quilting without a foot - on my machine, the layers kept being dragged up and I had to keep my fingers too close to the needle to make sure it stayed down. The result was worse than my normal quilting and I sewed my finger. I use a hopping foot with my feed dogs down and I start on the outside and go in and I don't get any puckers either, so I think I will stick to the method that works for me. The hoops look good for thread painting.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 AM

It was interesting but I presume the learning curve is steep just like free motion quilting - when I fmq on my sewing machine - I have to move the fabric at a certain pace so that my stitches are too long or too short - This video technique would have to be the same - Its interesting but I don't think I am interested in trying this for now.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 AM

This is called the Octi-Hoop and they aren't cheap at $109. I think a regular embroidery hoop could be used with little problem.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 AM

Over 35 years ago I took a course and we learned to machine embroider using a hand embroidery hoop upside down, removing the machine foor and feed dogs down. The key was getting the machine going FAST. THen it was easy to control and make some interesting designs. I once did 50 patches in 4 colors using this method. This wasbefore embroidery machines. Still have some around.
Lynne iin Houston
Old 04-08-2012, 01:06 PM

http://www.robappell.com/taxonomy/term/19
Rob Appell has a video on this site that shows him painting his sewing machine! I gave my grand-daughter some stickers to decorate her sewing machine, found them at JoAnn's.