View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 05:13 AM
Snooks

Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
so, scissor queen, you're saying that my work is my work and I can sell it even if the designer states otherwise on her pattern?? that seems counter-intuitive to me but I do like the answer. I have also seen patterns where the designer says only 10 (for example) can be sold and if you want to sell more, you need to contact the designer for permission. I tend always to do what they say (I may be oppositional, but am ultimately compliant --8^D )
When a pattern is SOLD, it then becomes the property of the buyer. When you sell a quilt, you are selling your time and work (NOT the pattern). When a pattern designer says you can sell - BUT only x number - it is because they are trying to also sell a different pattern for production (you can see this on some web sites - two different prices on the same pattern). But copy laws are very simple - once the pattern is mass produced and sold - the designer has NO control over it. Now if a designer does NOT SELL a pattern, but only loans it out for you to use one time - the designer still OWNS this pattern (no money changed hands), then you can NOT sell it.