Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you do if >

what do you do if

what do you do if

Old 11-24-2012, 05:17 PM

The only thing that is actually copyrighted is the actual pattern itself. You can't copy it, call it your own pattern or design and sell it under your own name. . . much like a book. I can't copy a book and publish or sell it under my own name. However, I can tell the story of it to anyone I want. I am a retired musician. Music copyrights are like this as well.

So yes, you can buy the pattern and make the quilt and sell it. However, you can't copy the pattern and give the copy to someone else without the copyright-holders permission. If they allow you to copy it a few times, great. Otherwise, if someone else wanted the pattern you'll have to give them yours or they'll have to buy it. But again, the resulting quilt is yours to do with as you wish.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:20 PM

If something is that easy to copy why try to control it? Whoever compared this to downloading music/file sharing is right. If something is that easy to copy I don't think there is a lot you can do. I'm new to quilting and I have never bought a pattern. So much of it's free on line or you can often figure it out just by looking at a picture.

Isn't this a little like saying the only person allowed to sell shirts with sleeves is the person that invented sleeves?