View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 AM
onaemtnest

Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
no, it really wasn't. And since you asked, I will tell you. I am trained as a scientist/clinician and had to conduct then write up original research to obtain my doctorate. As almost anyone in any research area can tell you, plagiarism is really a major issue. Given that you "publish or perish" if you are in research, your very livelihood depends on avoiding plagiarizing anyone or having anyone plagiarize your work. So, I'm sensitive to that. Plus, it was applique and original, not a simple nine-patch, as you intimated. And I love this woman's work and learned her technique in class. So, right or wrong, I feel like she's a personal friend and am at least psychically watching out for her. Third, I was raised by a true, evil sociopath and as a result, I am overly super-ego bound, so that is why I think of these things. I worry about everyone in a psychological attempt to undo the evil my father strewed liberally.

And, to end it, I do not understand why some responses seem so angry and others mean. I was taught, if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing. If you are tired of this subject, you had the choice not to open the topic. Walk on by, or as several said (and I heard as hurtful though they may not have been intended as such), MYOB.

now, I'll probably have incited a war. I'm sorry. Can I blame it on power surges? and stress? I really do like this site and try to respect everybody's point of view.
NYCQUILTER ~ I read your post as merely asking a valid question. The question of who owns what 'right' to what pattern or what can be done with fabric once purchased will be debated forever. Maybe it all boils down to this...what does each individuals moral compass tell them is 'right'. Will I share a pattern that has been published in a magazine with an individual on the board, should I own that magazine? Will I copy a pattern out of a quilt book and share with an individual? Will I make a copy of a pattern that I've bought and then share with an individual? Will I make quilts with a pattern and with fabric I've purchased and sell them? We're all individuals with as many different moral compasses as there are quilts and techniques, don't we all do what we feel is 'right'?

There are laws and rules....there are those of us that follow as best we can (I personally set my speed control 3 miles over posted speed limit.... snicker) so I break some rules consistently. But there are lines I will not cross. Someday I'm going to probably run into a cop that won't look past my personal rule of conduct regarding speed limits....then I'll pay for my indiscrection...

I'm hoping that some of the responses were never meant to be read as angry or unkind to someone just asking a question.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 04-12-2012 at 07:38 AM.