Thread: Dryer Sheets
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 02:39 PM
nhweaver

I have fragrance allergies - especially to perfumes that have any musk as a base. I see so many physicians offices and dental practices that now say they requestt a fragrance free environment and will ask any person with obvious "perfume smells" to reschedule. I don't use fragrance free everything (original scent Tide doesn't effect my allergies). It is a hit and miss process for me, so I avoid them as much as I can. Remember the marketing phrase "better life through chemicals? Well, duh, look what has happened with the rise in cancer and diseases.

Perfume was solely invented to cover up the smell of unwashed bodies - and now successful marketing makes the insecure person "feel undressed" if they don't spray chemicals all over their body. The chemicals in dryer sheets are very toxic to everyone eventually, why even use them? I remember when fabric companies used formalyhyde in 100% cotton. I used to have breathing difficulties in fabric store.

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
I started the thread about dryer sheets. I do not recommend using them- used or not- out of consideration for others because of chemicals- not just fragrances. There's no reason to use them because I can use inexpensive interfacing to achieve the EXACT same result for applique. Dryer sheets are just spun polyester mesh or scrim interfacing that is impregnated with chemicals. Interfacing is very cheap. I'm not going crazy and saying don't wash the fabrics and quilts in detergents that might be a problem for someone. They can rewash if needed. I'm just saying don't hide chemicals INSIDE the quilt. It's NOT just about the scent and whether or not you can smell it, and it's hardly an extreme measure. If someone has a chronic headache, eye watering, breathing problem, or itchy skin or rash- who would think it was a reaction to something INSIDE the quilt? Seems like an unnecessary and avoidable risk if you are gifting a quilt meant to make someone feel good. I'm a retired Nurse Practitioner, and have heard agreement from many folks here on the Board. Common sense says go ahead and reuse the dryer sheets for a second load, dusting, maybe wall hanging, etc., not inside a quilt or quilted clothing.