View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 03:08 AM
Edie

I have a long table and put on the backing, the batting and the top. I start out dead center and very gently, but firmly, push the fabric to all four sides as I prepare to pin; pin down the center block and go to the one on top of that one and then the one underneath the center block, and then to the sides, each time gently, but firmly pushing the fabric to the corners, so you end up doing the four corners of the quilt last. And last but not least, check to make sure that the bottom is nice and straight. It is time consuming, but I really enjoy this part of the quilting. It has become "The Challenge"!!!!!! I use this method when I tie down a quilt and as I finish each block (sewing the blocks in the same order as I pinned them down), I remove the pins and put them back in the Oxy-Clean container (My mom gave me her pins and I don't have the heart to put them in anything else), Also, for what it is worth, I would rather take the time to close the pins as I take them off the quilt.....Fons and Porter would disagree with me, but when I am concentrating on one thing, I cannot worry if the pins are open and are going to impale me to the living room wall!!!!!. I would much rather take the second or so to unhook the pin and use it and then rehook the pin when I am done! Just a thought here from me, who can't even take clothes out of the dryer without throwing my back out! No walking, no exercising, just probably laying on the floor on my back all day!!!!! Fun and games around here all the time! Edie