Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
putting the quilt top and back together >

putting the quilt top and back together

putting the quilt top and back together

Old 04-20-2012, 07:02 AM

I do both. First I put my back onto my design board and pin it to board along the edges to keep it flat. I then spray it and place batting pinning it on edges as i go, then the top. I then decide how to quilt it and mark the edges of my area to quilt with my basting pins. I found this helps me keep track of where I am while quilting so I dont get so confused. I tried the pinning method before the spray and just found that all the pins got in the way.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
I have spray basted over 150 quilts, either my own or helped with my friends. We have a super easy technique. Cover my king bed with a big flannel sheet, put batting down and arrange backing on that, fold back half of backing, spray batting and smooth backing back down. Fold back other half, spray and smooth. Flip it over so batting is on top, arrange quilt top and continue the fold back, spraying, smooth technique. Walk away and leave it for 30 minutes or so and it's ready to go.
You've answered a question for me. I have terrible problems with layering quilts, because I don't have a big wall/floor/table and don't know of anywhere else I could go to do this job. Just this evening I was struggling to sandwich a quilt in a cramped space on the floor, and ended up with puckers in the back as usual. As I read the posts here I was wondering if it might be better to start with the batting, as it's less likely than the backing fabric to pucker, spray baste and put the backing on it, then turn it and add the top. You've given me a method AND the great idea of using a bed. Thankyou!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
I have spray basted over 150 quilts, either my own or helped with my friends. We have a super easy technique. Cover my king bed with a big flannel sheet, put batting down and arrange backing on that, fold back half of backing, spray batting and smooth backing back down. Fold back other half, spray and smooth. Flip it over so batting is on top, arrange quilt top and continue the fold back, spraying, smooth technique. Walk away and leave it for 30 minutes or so and it's ready to go.

I was using June Taylor with great results, then they changed to a different formula and it was HORRIBLE. After emailing them they were great and have now changed their formula again. The new formula is in the new style can that tapers down on the top with a small cap but be sure that it says "Improved Formula" in dark pink or red on the front. The formula is pretty much the same as 505 and Dritz and I really like it. I don't like the Sullivan's in the pink can though.
Hi,
Thanks for the tip as I always have a problem laying out a quilt. I have used the 505 spray. Do you use spray starch on the back first? The bed or wall looks like a good place to lay them out.

Thanks,

Kathy from sunny Wisconsin
Old 07-26-2012, 07:20 PM

I have used Hobbs fusible batting before, which worked okay. Love the 505 basting spray though. Works well for me, like that it has little to no smell, and it doesn't gum up my needle. I wish I could remember the brand, I tried another one and it gummed up my needle. I ended up having to rip out quilting I had started so that I could pull the layers apart and start over with new batting in the middle. Used 505 for the first time then - no problems with thread constantly breaking because of the needle gumming up.

Like the tip of laying the batting down first, then the backing. I sometimes get some puckering, which is a pain to smooth out. I'll have to buy me an inexpensive flannel sheet and try my bed to baste my next quilt. The floor kills my knees!!